Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAL EWR B737

Question Dignity and Respect?

Is it me or do I have a right to feel slighted and once again slapped in the face by the company?

April 13 was my twenty year university with Continental. A week or so ago I had a form letter in my v-file stating how great an employee I was and how I was to be recognized for my hard word etc etc etc and to come in to the office to pick up my twenty year pin, and at the bottom it was wasn't signed but in a females hand writing the name ROB (my assistant chief pilot) was neatly printed where the letter should have been signed. I know Rob XXXX is in training but you mean to tell me one of the other assistants or base chief pilot couldn't sign the letter?

Then on Thursday I went in to the Chief Pilots office to pick up my pin. I asked one of the secretaries about my pin, with food in her month she motioned to me to wait while she washed her hands. She then when into Rob's office found the box and handed it to me and congratulated me on my service. Not that I don't appreciate the EWR CPO office staff but was this a totally classless act and slap in the face or is it just me?

I was pretty upset when it happened and I just left the office but at least one assistant chief pilot and the base Chief Pilot were both in their offices.

I know this doesn't help but it is everywhere. Hopefully when we have the chance (those of us who may feel slighted) we will remember and show our appreciation to others.

BTW, congrats on 20. Think this is becoming rarer and rarer.

Last edited:
I usually collected my anniversary pins when I went it to see the CP for yet another a$$ chewing. AA mailed me my 15 year pin...TC

I think you're taking yourself too seriously. You think the recognition for being a great employee and for working hard is unique to you? We all get the same letters, at all airlines. They couldn't care who was in that seat as long as you can get the plane from point A to B. I wouldn't take those accolades too seriously unless you saved the day and prevented loss of life. You can still take pride in what you do and where you work.

Last edited:
I do but they preach all this dignity and respect BS at my company. They no show on pilot's last (retirement flights) etc, it's not me personally but all of us as a whole it's very hollow.

I do a professional job and will continue to do so but it is still a slap in the face nothing more nothing less.

Congrats on 20 years...it is a great accomplishment in this industry...

I can't wait for my "20 year university". At my company they send you to Washington for an official ceremony on the floor of the Senate. After the ceremony there is a meet and greet with the President in the Oval Office and a photo op with the president and the New York Yankees.

I guess you may have been slighted.

Thank you to you and all the other who have said kind words, I appreciate it. It means far more to me to here that from my peers than the company.

Again this isn't about me personally but all of us and not just at CAL the entire industry. I know people squawk and make fun of Prater's Taking It Back campaign. But honestly it's not just about money and benefits we all lost a lot of respect and maybe just maybe we can all together (one contract at a time) Take It Back.

I know this doesn't help but it is everywhere. Hopefully when we have the chance (those of us who may feel slighted) we will remember and show our appreciation to others.

Agreed.

I wouldn't think anything of it because I've given up on wanting to be treated like gold. I just don't give a crap anymore....just give me my paycheck and a job until retirement and I will be happy. Anything more is above and beyond in my book. Sad but true.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back