Question about turbo props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

I was in a Dash8 the other day and noticed levers to the right of the throttles, also with a numers also on them. I was told that they are called condition levers. What are condition levers and how do they work? Also, what is torque as it applies to turbo prop aircraft?

Thank you

Condition levers control fuel metering. High idle, low idle, and cut off. For many aircraft, operationally, they are just a fuel cut off lever. That's how you would introduce fuel during start and shut down the engine. Torque is a measurement of power/thrust. It's the amount of force applied to the power section/RGB.

Last edited:
Torque is used as a primary power setting and conditional levers generally control Prop RPM (oil controlled system). If the CL are set and you increase the power lever position, more fuel is added and in order for the prop RPM to stay constant the blade angle has to take a bigger bite and thus torque is increased. The condition lever also has feather, reverse, and is also used to introduce fuel to the engine during start, and shut fuel off to the engine.

Condition levers do not have reverse...

First job, introduction of fuel for start.
Second job, control Prop RPM and blade angle in the forward range.

The power levers control reverse blade pitch angle and rpm.

Wait a minute...someone asked a question and factual responses were posted without insulting the original poster? I thought I logged into FlightInfo! ;)

Happy new year everyone. I hope the regional industry rights itself without too much chaos. :beer:

On some airplanes like the Q-400 the "condition levers" are really not even levers, but electrical switches that talk to the FADEC and PEC via the Engine Control panel. It wasn't really necessary to have the levers, except for single-type certification.

Sorry my bad! Been a little too long away from the Saab. CL do not in fact control reverse or Beta.

Latest resources

Back