Question about the legalities of a training contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL,

This is where I am torn. Preface this by stating I am dirt poor. Do I press the issue and try to get the $1000.00 they owe me? Do I just walk away and hope they don't come after me with an attorney? Losing $1000 is tough, especially when you've earned it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Should I still speak to an attorney?

Fly BI said:
As I stated, I wasn't aware it would become an issue. They have had 16 pilots quit during my employment. Not a word was said about repayment. So in truth, I was not at all concerned because a precedent was set.

Then I wouldn't worry about it, they probably can't afford to come after you anyway, they'll just keep your last check unfortunately. Good Luck.

What state are you in? Contract law is not the same every where but as a general rule...

A contract has to be negotiable to hold up.

An example of a negotiable training contract: During the interview you are told about it and given a copy.

An example of a non-negotiable contract: You show up for work, after you’ve moved and quit your old job and they say ‘oh by the way, you have to sign this to work here’

Your employer probably can not garnish you last paycheck.

If you are in a state like California, they probably can’t hold you to a negotiable training contract. Contract law varies from state to state.

Pay the 50 bucks to see an attorney, get your last paycheck and get an opinion as to the negotiability of the contract you signed.

Fly BI,

To hell with all these guys saying you should pay this thing off. Don't!!!!!!!!!!
If the company was really worth a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** they wouldn't have made you sign this contract the first place. Some of the idiots on this board have to much SH*# in their eyes to realize you were probably collecting food stamps and you needed the job. As far as collecting your last check, I may be wrong but unless your wages are being garnished they cannot withhold pay from you. With that being said, if you decide to go after the money they might go after you for the training contract. There is a 99% chance they will lose, but you may spend more than a grand defending yourself. Something to think about.

mrvmo said:
you were probably collecting food stamps and you needed the job.

Exactly, thus, the contract was non-negotiable and you really couldn't afford to say no.

You may not want to hear this but it's my opinion. YOU signed the agreement. YOU made the decision not to honor the agreement. Now you are suprised that your employer is enforcing the contract? I'm guessing if you were working for this employer and they hadn't upheld their part of the contract, you would be posting about what a shady operator they are and how you got screwed. Learn from this and be more careful about what you put your name on and how it may affect you down the road.

A couple of points. 1st, Why did you sign a training contract with Air Tahoma? That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard of someone doing. 2nd, I wonder what XJet will think of you when you start class on the 21st when they find out you stiffed your previous employer and reneged on a signed contract? Remember you are an at-will employee at XJet, I know of people that have been fired at other places for much less offenses than being dishonest and not living up to your commitment to honor your contract.

Always read what you sign. It's not just a piece of paper to get a job. If you agreed, then quit, you lose. They won't get their money out of a turnip, so to speak, but they can sue, get a judgment and mess up your credit. Like everyone says, consult an attorney, if you can afford it.

Fly BI said:
I've got a question for anyone with experience breaking a training contract. I've just quit my job 4 months shy of the 1 year mark. They were given two weeks notice and I was told yesterday that I will not get my final paycheck. Furthermore, they say I owe them money. I'm waiting for a copy of this agreement to be faxed to me. In the meantime I have spoken with 2 other pilots who also quit at the 8 month mark. They both gave notice, received they final pay and walked away. I am really not sure what to do here.

Don't mis the big picture everyone - People like this guy is WHY companies feel the need to have training contracts. If you said you'd stay a year (with or without a contract) then stay, no matter how tough it is. If you got a way better job, that means your getting way better pay and paying off your contract should be a good investment. If you dirt poor, write them a promisary note. I've never walked on a contract, no matter how unfair I thought it was. I've also never left a job after 8 months!

Ace

Rhoid said:
A couple of points. 1st, Why did you sign a training contract with Air Tahoma? That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard of someone doing. 2nd, I wonder what XJet will think of you when you start class on the 21st when they find out you stiffed your previous employer and reneged on a signed contract? Remember you are an at-will employee at XJet, I know of people that have been fired at other places for much less offenses than being dishonest and not living up to your commitment to honor your contract.

Rhoid,

1. I signed it because it was either that or move my family back to the west coast.
2. I haven't "stiffed" anybody. This thing is just like getting out of a lease. You can break the promise, pay the money and be finished. At the end of the day. if that's what needs to be done then so be it. So I doubt very highly this would have ANY impact upon my job with my new employer.

Folks: Notice I've only asked about loopholes and legalities. Please try to understand my reasons, just as some of you understand the company's ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back