Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hobiehawker

In FAR part 91-103 in reads:

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include --

What is considered all available information?

I am now just getting recurrent in GA aircraft and its been a couple decades. In regards to the information I have in the airplane besides Operating manual information, I recall my FI teaching me at a minimum the Sectional chart will meet the intent of this FAR.

Not that this is the best way to go, but would you agree?

Thanks for all input.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.2.4.2&idno=14

§ 91.103 Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

(b) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

Thanks for replying Amish,

I was hoping for an interpretation of the rule in regards to maybe more specific on navigation and airport information is "required".

I guess to cut to the chase. If one took off with only a sectional, would that suffice?

Besides the performance and briefing issues.

For a VFR cross country, cutting to the chase I would have at a minimum these items to CYA:

VFR Chart (current)

A weather briefing (online or cell)

AFD

TOLD

POH

VFR flight plan filed.

Ohterwise, I think the FAA reg I cited interprets what that information must include. The items listed above should be more than sufficient to complete a legal cross country as per the items outlined in the reg.

If anything goes wrong, the weather briefing (maybe get an update enroute) and a filed flight plan will at a minimum indicate that some level of planning was performed.

Does the plane have a GPS? Yes... dude your set. No... Sectional and your set go have some fun.

Just a small correction: A VFR flight plan, while a good idea, is not required.

Correct. Not required, but essential in the event you're to prove in some form that flight planning was performed and calculated as per the regs. Hence, filing it provides a record of such activity. Navigation, fuel, weather and alternates are all taken into account if you complete and file the plan.

I was hoping you would sense the sarcasm lol.

Latest resources

Back