Question about pilot training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WIPilot

Pardon the stupid question, but I have been curious...

How long does the initial training last when you get hired at a regional? (average?)

And how long (again on average) flight time wise do you spend in the sims?

WIPilot said:
Pardon the stupid question, but I have been curious...

How long does the initial training last when you get hired at a regional? (average?)

And how long (again on average) flight time wise do you spend in the sims?
What difference does it make if you're getting paid?

Try shortening your sentences...

How long is initial training at a regional?

During initial training, how long is a single simulator session?

You're asking us to average out all of the data and give it to you...that's not going to happen. Some guy is going to tell you that he spent four hours a day in the sim during initial training and some other guy is going to tell you he spended thirty six hours a day in sim training...you'll have to divide the total hours by the total guys and figure the average out your self.

PS...what is how long flight time wise? How Long's a Chinaman.

Last edited:
Good god FN FAL, I didnt insult your mother or anything so no need to be a jerk. I'm just curious student pilot. Thanks for a useless reply to my question :)

Don't get mad...I deal with third year college students in teams on a daily basis and them dumbasses are wearing me the f out, so I'm just sharing the love bro.

WIPilot said:
awww, here's a tissue for your issue.
No...it's, "Dude...here's a tissue for your issue." Jeusus H. Crimminy...do I gotta teach you kids everything.

WIPilot said:
I didnt get the memo.
Hahaha...if one of my team mates wrote it, you probably couldn't have figured it out anyway.

Sim sessions? For starters, four hours a day average for two pilot airplanes. Two hours a day for single pilot airplanes. How many days? Hmmm...I think Mesaba had us in the sim for 5 or 7 days. My initial in the Level D Caravan was four two hour sim sessions and a two hour sim 135 checkride.

How long did my 135 ground school for the caravan last? 12 days. How long did my Mesaba ground school last? Five days of op manual ground school, two weeks of sitting around East Berlin waiting for an Emulations instructor to get there, followed by another week and half of waiting around East Berlin waiting for the sim instructor to show up. Then it was, "Get in the sim...training starts today!" So I would say most 121 training scenarios last six weeks...followed by a week or whatever of IOE. Round it up to 8-10 weeks to include inoc or other wasted time.

To average this out...wait for the next poster to provide some data. Take that data, divide it by the number of pilots and you should have an average time period or period of time or time segment. In addition, How Long's a Chinaman?

Last edited:
thanks, thats all I was looking for really ;)

And as far as the chinaman thing goes, from my experiences....rather short :rolleyes:

Last edited:
WIPilot said:
thanks, thats all I was looking for really ;)

And as far as the chinaman thing goes, from my experiences....rather short :rolleyes:
From your experiences? ewwwwwwww!

The joke is..."How Long's a Chinaman?"

The punch line is..."And so is his wife."

Latest resources

Back