Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ex1900Driver

Sky Anchor
I have an old Samsonite aeroline hardside crew rollerbag and the original hard plastic wheels are shot. I've heard there is a roller blade conversion out there for it but I just can't find it.
Can anyone help! I love my old samsonite hardside and if I can rejuvenate it I'll do that cause I really want this thing to last forever!!

Thanks
GDC

Dude,

I'll try and find something more informative- bc I don't know your particular suitcase---
But!:)
Having put roller blade wheels on a handful of brands bc I literally can't stand anything else and a friend did his and basically told me to buy the wheels and replace them- "figure it out it's not rocket surgery" maybe you have to get a bit of hardware at times- usually not- it's just undrill and re-drill- and be much happier.

What I've found is there is usually an obscure you tube video for anything- I changed a brake pad on my truck off of YouTube - I bet there's something there

I don't care if your wheels are brand new, crew need better than the plastic crap most suitcases come with.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7811179_replace-luggage-inline-skate-wheels.html#page=1

Things You'll Need

Screwdriver
Hex key
Wrench

Step 1

Open your suitcase and lift the fabric panel that covers the wheel caps.

Step 2

Pry off the wheel caps using a flat-head screwdriver.

Step 3

Unscrew the hardware holding the wheels in place in the axle. Some wheels use screws while other use different kinds of bolts. Use the appropriate screwdriver, hex key or wrench.

Step 4

Reach outside the suitcase and pull off the wheels.

Step 5

Insert the new inline-skate wheels into the axle. Secure the wheels using the removed hardware.

Tips & Warnings

Some luggage manufacturers attach their wheels with rivets or other permanent hardware. Contact your manufacturer for wheel-replacement options.

References

Dick's Sporting Goods: How to Change Inline Skate Wheels
TravelPro: FAQs
Samsonite: Parts and Repair Services

Last edited:
The old hardside (with the luggage strap in the handle) can be modded to inline skate wheels, but the newer one (with the little nub to attach a strap on the top of the case) cannot, from my experience with both.

The old hardside (with the luggage strap in the handle) can be modded to inline skate wheels, but the newer one (with the little nub to attach a strap on the top of the case) cannot, from my experience with both.

I appreciate that info. I just got off the phone with samsonite and they said the same thing. I can replace the whole wheel assembly. Mine has the nubby thing!!

I got the last one my local samsonite service center had and they said they weren't getting any more. I guess when mine breaks I'll have to make a suitcase/wheel barrow hybrid.

Is it you doing that to the OPC's score?

Latest resources

Back