Question about low approaches.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oilcanbland

Had my first solo on Mon. and it went very well!! (if anyone cares).

This morning I had my second solo, and I did touch & gos in the pattern for about an hour. It went well today also, except something came up, that I wasn't sure of. I am flying at a controlled airport, and it was really busy when I was flying. (F-16s coming in and out.) Here's what happened.

I was on final for one of my landings, and the controller came on and told me that I was cleared for low approach only. Instead of asking him what to do like I should of, I assumed that meant for me to execute a go around once I got close to the runway. So that is what I did, and he didn't advise me otherwise. I forgot to ask my instructor about it when I got down.

Did I do the right thing? (Don't worry I'll ask the controller the next time something like that comes up).

Last edited:
Must be cool to share the pattern with F16's at only 20 hours! I still think it's cool on the rare occasion when I share airspace with the military.

Good luck with your training!

Congrats on your solo!

While you are in the AIM and the Pilot/Controller Glossary look up "Option" which will give you rights for up to five choices when doing an approach to landing.

They are:

1. Land to a full stop
2. Stop and Go
3. Touch and go
4. Low Approach
5. Missed Approach (IFR term, but at some airports may allow you to turn earlier or later than what a Low Approach would do - ask your CFI.)

F-16's - there are times when I would like to start all over just for the thrill of it all!

Yeah, there were about 3 or 4 of them (F-16s) zippin around me this morning. They have a much higher pattern, of course, and they were using a different runway than I was.

It's funny, because they do their touch & gos and are around their entire pattern in about 45 seconds as opposed to my 5 minute pattern. :D

I'm used to seeing F-16s because I grew up in this town, and their is an ANG base here.

Low approach

Congratulations! Some of us here do care.

You did right. Do look up "cleared for the option" in the Pilot/Controller Glossary.

Keep us updated. Let us know how it goes for you when you start practicing short field and soft-field TOs and landings, and how you like your cross-countries. I remember that my cross-countries were some of the most enjoyable parts of my Private training.

Congratulations on your solo and welcome to our world. As bobby said, some of us DO care. Count me among them. Although it was a very long time ago, I'll never forget that moment.

You did the right thing on your "low approach". Nice work.

Best wishes to you.

Congratulations on your solo!!!

Please do let us know how your training is going as you continue. Hearing stories from pilots like yourself reminds us of when we were in your shoes. Some of your fondest memories will come from the training you are recieving right now.

Congrats again, and best of luck with your training!

Thanks

Thanks guys! I just got back from vacation tonight.

You asked about my cross countries. Well I've already had two of them. My first one was from Terre Haute, IN to Effingham, IL, and the second one to Bedford, IN. On this Mon. I will be taking my first night Xcountry to Evansville, IN. Then if that goes smoothly, I'll have my first solo Xcountry back to Effingham, on Tues or Wed.

It has been going really well so far. Not to mention I'm having a blast!! I've been waiting my whole life to begin flying. It feels good to finally get going. I'm just trying to keep up with all of the studying that goes along with it.

Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back