Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rattler71

order out of chaos
Who here has had Lasik eye surgery and what did you think of it after you had it?

Rattler71

Do a search on Lasik, I had PRK done 2 years ago. I had 20/4oo before and now have 20/15, with no "Halos" at night. The FAA will issue you a new medical after your surgery (After going to an optometrist) with no limitations. On subsequent medicals, its the old As previously reported, no changes. Everybodys eyes are different & there is no guarantees with Lasik or PRK. I am 100% satisfied & would reccommend it to anybody. Good luck!

I had lasik done 5 years ago and it's a miracle I tell you.

I was a -3.50 on my contacts.

I'm now seeing 20/15 in my right eye, 20/20 in my left on an AVERAGE day.

Some days, after a good night's sleep I can see the hairs on a gnat's asss from 100 yards away.

As far as the "automatic" reliance on reading glasses, it's not always the case.

I'm 44 y/o and haven't needed readers until about a year ago, and it's only when reading in dim light, or fine print just before bedtime after having been up for 16 hours or so.

Same thing with the "halo vision", or seeing stars at night. I only notice them when I'm tired.

I had PRK done 9 and half years ago. Do not regret it at all. I was 20/200 and 20/300. I am now 20/20 or better. I do see halo's at night with my left eye when it first gets dark. The reason is though my pupil is bigger than my right eye. It opens bigger than the spot where the laser zapped my eye. After a while it seems to go away or I get used to it. I tell my eye Dr. that my vision gets blurry after being up and working 14 hours. He tells me that is normal land everyones do that. Since then I have a slight astigmatism (sp?) in my right eye. It gets blurry everyone in a while. Nothing serious though. My eye Dr says it has nothing to do with my PRK. Again I do not regret it all.

I think the important thing is to find a reputable doc who has done THOUSANDS of the procedures. Let him practice on someone who doesn't need their peepers...like umpires.

Thanks all for the responses. I will definitely use all the advice in whatever choices I make.

Rattler71

pilotmiketx said:
I think the important thing is to find a reputable doc who has done THOUSANDS of the procedures. Let him practice on someone who doesn't need their peepers...like umpires.

Agreed, the cheapest ain't always the best. I'm satisfied with the results for the benefit I have received

pilotmiketx said:

Agreed on that too. Now a days a DR can go buy a laser and yoiu could be his first and maybe the last. I had my done in Canada because when I had it done it was not approved in the US yet. However the place I had mine down at was doing seven a day at the time and looking to go to fifteen a day.

DO some research on the Doc. Get references. You only come with two eyes and they can not be replaced at the local drug store.

Latest resources

Back