Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Am considering joining a Guard unit but have no idea how to go about it. Sorry for my ignorance. Have friends flying the C17 in a guard unit and another flying F16's in his unit. Haven't heard back from either one of them on my inquiry into exactly how do you go about joining as a pilot. I've never been in the military but would like to explore what opportunities it may have.
I have about 5,300TT civilian flying and am a college graduate. I am 28 years old right now.
Any help you could provide I would certainly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance for your replies.

- LXA

Good luck to you. I want to say that there is an age limit for going to SUPT. If memory serves, I believe you have to start training prior to your 27 1/2 birthday. You may want to ask about this. Also, If that is the case, don't give up. I would think that you could apply for an age waiver. It all depends on how hard up the unit is for pilots. This is old information. Things could have changed...

You must start training by your 30th birthday. Anything later requires a waiver/exception to policy. If you want to start...hurry. You will have to take the AFOQT and BAT (called something else now). Contact the recruiter (seriously) at the guard units you are looking at to get scheduled for those tests. Keep the reserves in mind as well, same process applies.

Find a guard unit that is hard up. Most likely in some out of the way place, like maybe, Billing, MT Fargo, ND. Move to MT/TD and apply.

I will tell you something you may not like! You'll need to learn how to be a beginning student again. Trust me on this...you have to put everything aside and learn how to fly the military way. Other than that, find a unit which may be hiring and put in an application and start rushing them like a fraternity! It's a "bro" network and they want to see if they would want to work with you for the next 20+ years. Got to be competitive on paper because a lot of guys are competing and they have the cream of the crop to choose from. Also, being an enlisted member at the unit no longer ensures your unit will hire you for an opening...again, too many applicants to choose from. Don't know about heavy units, but expect 1 year of pilot training, 2 mos. IFF, 6+ mos. RTU and several months here and there between training for a fighter unit. Expect around 2 years of "seasoning" to learn your job then slide to a TR position or apply for an AGR. The thing is to start looking and rushing know! Good luck...

D

Everything these guys have told you is correct. Having said that, if I had it all over to do again, I'd find a Guard unit that flew tankers and go for it.

Everyone is mentioning Guard, but don't forget about the Reserves as well. Try to apply to every Guard/Reserve unit you can. Don't limit yourself by location, as places like ND will probably be in less demand than others. Also, don't limit yourself to the type of airplane/helicopter either. Step 1, get your wings and then be picky.

The Age limit has been 30 for years now...

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back