Question about free-lance instructing.

Hueydewy

Total Time
Let's say I want to teach a friend how to fly. I go to the local FBO and need to use their airplanes. When the time comes, is it possible for me to send a student solo in the FBO's airplanes? I am not employed by the FBO so is this possible? Do FBO's allow this?

i'mbatman

Thunderbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird
Total Time
4300+
Most FBO's require that their students sign a rental aggreement that has some type of insurance clause. I would imagine that the answer to the question is USUALLY no, but I'm not positive. Later!

Pilotadjuster

I voted for Pedro
Total Time
instructing

Also--most FBOs won't let you instruct in their a/c if you don't work for them. They won't find out unless something goes wrong; then guess whose insurance/assets get to pay for the damage.... Not a good idea unless you sign an agreement with the FBO or get authorization from them in writing to instruct in their airplane.

Fly safe!

bobbysamd

Total Time
Solo in FBO aircraft

I would seriously doubt that the FBO would let you instruct a student in one of its aircraft unless you work for it. Insurance considerations aside, the FBO's instructors would squawk that you are taking work away from them.

Now, if you can get something in writing from them, that is another matter. But, I'd wonder about insurance, just the same.