Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
A friend of mine who's former military is going to work for the DOD in the middle east. He's not a pilot but will be acting as a crew chief and needs to have a 3rd class medical according to his contract.

He admitted to getting a DUI in 2007 (blew a .21!) after he came home from active duty in Iraq and his application for medical was denied (has been clean since then). The feds are saying he needs a phsyciatric evalutaion and also has to take some tests administered by a phsycologist as well as a mountain of other documentation for re-consideration.

He's perfectly willing to do all this but only has 3 weeks before shipping out. (Took the feds forever to get back to him). My question is this: Does anyone know of an appeals process or a way to expedite what he has to do here?

I really apprecitate any helpful information anyone has. This guy is good people and I'd like to help him out any way I can. Thanks for the help!

Use virtual flight surgeons at http://aviationmedicine.com/. It has been a while for me, but they are the experts at dealing with Medicals. You write them an email and pay, I think 29 dollars, and they get right back to you. I filled the form out on a holiday and the doctor called me back in 10 minutes with the answer.

Thanks for the info. I passed it on and he seems pleased with their advice.

Is it simply the level of intoxication that triggered all the special treatment? Or did something else happen during his arrest?

Yep, it was the level of intoxication. I guess if you blow greater than a .15 then the AME has no choice but to forward your application to the feds for review before being able to conduct the physical.

It's going to cost him $2500 for the eval and tests that the FAA is requiring him to take just to be reconsidered for a 3rd class......most expensive night of drinking in his life in more ways than one.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how little it takes to approach the .08 level.
I bought one of those breathalyzers at Walgreens, to find out just that. You are entirely correct. It's scary.

Also, think how easy it is, while stone sober, to spot the person who's had a drink. It's easy, even if they've only had a drink or two and are nowhere near sloshed. It's the same way for the cop that pulls you over for your broken tail light or similar. And knowing how little it takes to approach .08 now, I only feel safe sober or walking or in a cab.

Last edited:
So how much does it take? I was always told 1.5-2 drinks. I'm not much of a drinker. Not normally more than a glass of red wine in the evening a couple of times a week, unless it's a party/ function. So I get a buzz quite easily. Was told I'm still legal to drive. Not going to give it a try though.

It's amazing to me the amount of idiots on the road these days who still drink and drive. A lot more than you think. Consequently, I do get why the cops pull over so many drivers just to check. They probably tend to catch quite a few offenders.

He's perfectly willing to do all this but only has 3 weeks before shipping out. (Took the feds forever to get back to him). My question is this: Does anyone know of an appeals process or a way to expedite what he has to do here?

I don't think anything is going to happen in 3 weeks. Not to say give up, but what I know ain't good. Guy at my airline apparently blew over a .15. It was his first, so he was thinking he's get a pass. No way. He was out for almost a full year. He has to abstain, 100% for some period of time (A year or more, I forget exactly) he is subject to random blood alcohol tests which, according to him, will disclose if you've any alcohol at all in the past week or so. (I didn't even know such a test existed) and he's got to go to AA meetings, and he's got to have periodic psych evaluations, and he's required to be under the "care" of one of only two AMEs in the state who is authorized to do this.

Point being, I know your friend's situation is a little different, but blowing over a 0.15 is a big hairy deal. I'd be really surprised if he can get this worked out in 3 weeks.

Latest resources

Back