Question about climb/descent rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For cryin out loud

Well, my friend, in that case I think they want you down.

I don't care. Fly your way. I'll fly mine.

I always plan a 3 degree decent and NEVER have problems. I take the altitude I need to loose, add 10 miles to get set up and another 5-10 so I can be at 3000 AGL 10 miles from the field. I think if you do that you'll be OK. Also, if they start me down sooner than I want, I'll ask, "Is that pilot's discretion?" Sometimes they will say ok and other times they will say "No, I need you to start down now." If they start me down real early, I'll dump 500 fpm on them and though I dont get that much, I have never had them say anything about it. When they start you down early like that, I think they expect a minimal decent rate.
Tell the Capts you are unfamiliar with that requirement and ask them where in the AIM it can be found so you can reference if for learning purposes. They'll be unable to comply. The ones that have said 500 fpm minimum are correct. Also, below 10, I would reccomend 1000 fpm and no more than 1500 fpm. Anything below 10 will be no more than 1200-1300 fpm (depending on GS) for 3 degrees and you'll be able to Don't forget TCAS. Depending on what version you have, 1000 fpm or greater will set it off unless you both have revison 7 and TCAS II.
Finally, at the end of the day, no matter what a jerk or how cool the Capt is, he is ultimately responsible for the aircraft. He is under no obligation to let you fly, and since he is letting you fly he should let you fly it in the manner which you prefer unless you are not being smooth or doing something unsafe. With that said, if there is a way he wants the airplane flown, and it is safe, you should do you best to accomadate his desire. I say that because you want him to be comfortable with the way you fly so you can fly as often as you want. Just dont break any regs or do anything to put yourself at risk. If he wants you to do something one way and you want to do it another and its all a wash at the end of the day, tell him you prefer to do it like this and tell him why. He might be able to teach you something or you might be able to teach him something. Good luck to you

Last edited:
HawkerF/O said:
I always plan a 3 degree decent and NEVER have problems. I take the altitude I need to loose, add 10 miles to get set up and another 5-10 so I can be at 3000 AGL 10 miles from the field. I think if you do that you'll be OK. Also, if they start me down sooner than I want, I'll ask, "Is that pilot's discretion?" Sometimes they will say ok and other times they will say "No, I need you to start down now." If they start me down real early, I'll dump 500 fpm on them and though I dont get that much, I have never had them say anything about it. When they start you down early like that, I think they expect a minimal decent rate.
That has worked well for me for over 30 years. If they want more descent out of you they'll let you know.

That being said, there are certain areas where experience tells you that you're going to be starting down early. It will do no good to fight it. ATC uses letters of agreement to coordinate traffic flow. It helps to discover the fixes and altitudes - If we can't figure it out from experience we'll ask the controller for future reference. We program the FMS accordingly.

'Sled

2 cents

Cooperate and graduate, I'm sure you could point out how much each captain is messed up but what will that due for CRM, I don't think there is anything wrong with the technique you use for the crossing restriction, but don't get in a pissing contest over it.:beer:

Here's a little trick for you

Whenever you fly with a new Captain and are asked (if you are) which leg you want, always find a way to get the Cap to fly the first leg.

Then pay close attention to any "techniques" he/she exhibits.

When it's your leg, just do the same as the Cap did, and you'll never have any "friction" in the cockpit.

This always worked for me whenever I was in the right seat, and it'll do the same for you.

Little bit of apples and oranges. Pilots discretion: They probably don't care too much what you do.

Crossing restriction: probably don't care much what you do as long as you meet the restriction.

Plain old descent clearance: Depends on where you are, but likely 2000fpm is expected. I have seen it many times flying with someone especially in the NY area, where they descend slow because we are far out, only to have ATC tell us to increase descent rate.

Sometimes I encourage FOs to pick up the rate so ATC wont have to.

500 fpm is good for unpressurized airplanes, but that isn't what we are flying, and thats not how ATC will expect us to fly.

Last edited:
For those of you that are concerned about ATC telling you to increase your rate of descent, why are you concerned? If a pilot wants to descend at 500fpm to conserve fuel, that's his prerogative. If ATC needs you to 'pick-up' your rate of descent they'll tell you. So what if they do? Are we to fly around wasting fuel by descending out of altitude earlier or faster than necessary just because we're afraid that ATC will tell us to increase our rate of descent? A professional pilot should try to conserve fuel and that means staying as high as possible as long as possible (consistent with meeting xing restrictions, explicit ATC directives, etc.).
My suggestion would be to politely explain your reasoning once. If the PIC is too dense to understand, better just go along with what he/she wants and swallow your pride and common sense.

Ok, I found the closest thing to an optimum rate in the Air Traffic Controller's Handbook, Appendix A. They have listed the average rate of descent and climb based upon the aircraft's performance.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/atc/Appendices/atcapda.html

Now, the way I understand the link, the numbers listed are an average and are not hard and fast. Therefore, the best guideline is probably this. If you can't maintain the required 500 fpm climb or descent report it. Other wise, fly the descent profile that best fits the situation. Yes, there is more than one profile to descend with. I use the 3 degree when I'm facing a head wind and then I use fpm for tail winds. The idea being I go as far as I can as I high as I can until I reach a preset fpm that is steep, but do-able and comfortable for the passengers.

Latest resources

Back