Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ques. for Pilots Who've Flown NE of Hawaii...Plastic Island?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I keep hearing that there is a giant island, twice the size of Texas a few hundred miles offshore, NE of Hawaii??? Supposedly, this island is made entirely of human garbage and plastic which has floated out to the Pacific and is caught in a giant circulation current. This has been on some radio stations and Nightline. I do not know how credible this is since I haven't seen any photos. Is this actually true? Have any pilots witnessed seeing this? Are there photos available? Does this appear on Google Earth?

Look forward to your responses.

Not an island, just an enormous swirl of plastic trash in the water. It's called a "Gyre"

North Pacific Subtropical Gyre also known as North Pacific Gyre
This gyre comprises most of the northern Pacific Ocean. It is located between the equator and 50º N latitude and occupies an area of approximately ten million square miles (34 million km²).[clarification needed] The North Pacific Gyre has a clockwise circular pattern and comprises four prevailing ocean currents: the North Pacific Current to the north, the California Current to the east, the North Equatorial Current to the south, and the Kuroshio Current to the west. An accumulation of man-made marine debris known as the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" is collecting in the gyre.[3]

.. twice the size of Texas a few hundred miles offshore, NE of Hawaii??? Supposedly, this island is made entirely of human garbage and plastic...

No worries. Al Gore knows about this already and now that Obama is in charge he is gonna use the stimulus to buy 1.5 Million canoes. He will hire 2 people per canoe and send them West for their new stimulus job.

Waaalaa... 3 Million jobs created and we save the planet too. Gee.. i can sleep at night now since I don't have to worry about what to do when I'm furloughed.

P.S. I recommend Saran Wrap instead of Reynolds Wrap... for job security.:D

Latest resources

Back