Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quality of Upgrade classes in regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reject007

Just sitting here wondering about upgrade pass rates, amount of groundschool and simulator prep at different regionals. The majors and the LCCs seem to take care of their pilots, but do the regionals stiff us on upgrade training?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

reject007 said:
The majors and the LCCs seem to take care of their pilots, but do the regionals stiff us on upgrade training?

STIFF YOU? What regional are you working for? And why would you ask such a question?

Here at Express, the upgrade training is excellent!

COEX-FO said:
STIFF YOU? What regional are you working for? And why would you ask such a question?

Here at Express, the upgrade training is excellent!

And how would you know it is "excellent" What other regionals have you upgraded at to compare them with XJT?

CO-Ex FO. It appears that you are a captain now. So am I. I was just asking a question about how much training regional pilots get in each phase of training while upgrading. How many days of groundschool, how many sims...etc. And since you upgraded, you can probably tell me about express-jet. I heard you have an excellent training department. I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Here at XJ the captains have been in ground school along with us newhire fo's from the second week on side by side. They didn't have to sit through all the ops manual stuff (they should already know that stuff anyway). Same goes for the sims. They pair everyone they can cap/fo and everyone gets the same amount of lessons. So far I'd have to say it's been a good class... very thourough, I'll have to get back to you on the quality of the sim, I start that tomorrow.

Thanks for all that info. It sounds like Xjet has their s... together. What about other regionals? I am just doing a little research and I think a lot of pilots will appreciate it. Thanks again!

You're asking for some rather subjective information. Unless someone who has upgraded at several regionals, those responding have no other experience to compare.

It sounds if you are gathering objective information for a site similiar to "AirlinePilotCentral.com". There may be some value in comparing types and length of ground school (ie. 2 or 3 weeks, instructor and/or CBT), CPT, and number of sim sessions. You posted that you upgraded, so you know preparation, study habits, and attitude are more important to a successful outcome than ground school content and simulator sessions.

I don't believe regionals 'stiff' us on training. Many regionals have an excellent pass rate. Airlines are are not looking to fail those who they have just invested upwards of $15K unless they are reasonably sure they will pass. Those who do fail, fail for a reason.

410dude said:
And how would you know it is "excellent" What other regionals have you upgraded at to compare them with XJT?

He said it was excellent training and never stated that it was BETTER than other regionals. Jesus, some folks are always looking for a fight.

I went through upgrade and I had a week of groundschool, 6 hours of cpt, and 4 sims before my checkride. Then one more sim for LOFT. This is what we get to work with at my company. I believe it is a fast upgrade, since I've heard some companies give their pilots 8 sims before the type ride.

And whoever said, you're right. This is very objective.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back