Quality of life decision?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flat-tire

Which SIC time would be better to have, an Electra L-188 or an ERJ 145? I know they are on completely different sides of the spectrum but these are my choices. Also the Electra is in the Europe and the ERJ is in States.

SIC time

The answer is neither. You really want multi PIC time instead of SIC time.

Having said that, it might depend on your desired next step. Jungle Jet SIC time in the context of your overall experience might give you an advantage for regional(s) that operates them. A couple of freight companies fly Electras in the U.S., so time in them very well could give you an advantage with these companies.

Still, having PIC multi, especially in on-demand or scheduled ops, is better.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
We would need more info about the jobs in order to formulate a better response. Which one would have a faster upgrade ? What are your career goals ? Where do you want to live ?

TP

Take the L-188 job

You will get a chance to fly the most awesome turbo prop ever built, RJ’s are all the same, and anyone can fly them. The L-188 is disappearing, to be able to say I flew the L-188, shows you can hand fly an airplane over 100K MGTOW. I have yet to hire an L-188 pilot who was not a good stick. You will have no problem moving into a jet after flying the L-188 for a year. You will easily get the RJ job after flying the Electra. I have two guys working for me who flew the Electra in Europe and they loved it.

I agree w/ the Yipster

Fly the old stuff.

The new stuff will make you lazy.

Not only that, but I tend to evaluate pilots on the different types of flying they've done.

You'll have more tools in your bag (I'm really talking about your brain here) if you go fly old stuff in in the Old World than if you fly new stuff in the New World.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back