Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scottm

Hey everyone,

I will be starting class in the next few weeks with PDT and was hoping some of you currently working there could fill me in on some details.

First of all, what can we expect in ground school considering we are coming in with the AQP program? Are there tests on the first day? I have a lot of questions regarding the aircraft that the systems folder doesnt seem to address, is this normal or am I just stupid?

Also, I know it changes from class to class, but how difficult do you think it will be to hold Charlotteville as a base. Is it most common for all new hires to go to SBY?

Lastly, does it depend on which base you hold to dictate which routes you will fly. Obviously, SBY based pilots wont be flying Key West trips but can you hit Canada being based in VA? In other words, do you do a lot of through trips between hubs regardless of your home base? If it does depend, which base would you recommend as far as good trips and a nice place to live.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Scottm

Class

I was in the July class last year. Let me tell you that the instructor we had was worthless. She and another person told us if we are there expecting to learn something think again. More or less you are on your own. No tests right away I think on the 3rd or 4th day there was one. So study as much as you can before you go. And like you said there isn't much in the material they send you. All I have to say is good luck.

I was just in the Feb 4th class. There are only really three tests, a FOM, Limitations, and Systems test. Limitations and systems are done the last day of class. if you comeing from a 121 carrier then the FOM test will be a breaze, the limits you just gotta memorize and it isn't too hard. As far as systems, our instructor knew the aircraft inside out, he could have built one for us in class. my advise is to just go through and do the 3 AQP tests, review the limitations and go over the Q&A at the end of the chapters, even if you don't understand it you'll figure it out in class.
As far as CHO is concerned i'm not sure how hard it is to get there, that was my first choice but we won't find out our bases till next friday. You'll be in training for at least 2 months so there is a couple of extra chances to get into the base you want. I think most people end up in ROA but like I said i've got another week to find out.

Hope this helps. drop me a message if you have any questions

base availability for April

I saw the base opening this morning for April.

ORf will take 7
ROA adds 2
CHO 3, but may be increased as needed
JAX 2
TPA 2
SBY2

The florida openings are rare. We were surprised to see so many of them. Be glad that your in the next class cause they are canceling the one after you. Lack of sims (Seattle isn't working out as well as they hoped) and instructor shortage are the main reasons. In addition Dehavilland can't deliver the new 300's as fast as they originally said they could. Good luck with training. Some helpful points memorize the complete limitations section, and all emergency memory items before you get here it will save you time. Don't worry about not getting everything out of the CD the instructors do a fast but adiquate job of teaching systems. Another helpfull hint find an FO or a Cap upgrade to teach you the flows asap. It will help with 2and1 and sim training.

See you on the line

Dashdriver....
Which class are they cancelling? Are they just pushing everyone back one class then?

Supposedly I am in the March 4 class (in two weeks).

Just curious. Thanks for the words of advice.

Ryan

As far as I have heard the march class is still on its the april one you have to worry about. And all they are doing is pushing it back till the training dept can catch up with all of the new hires. noones getting released just slowed down.

DashDriver is 100% on the money with what you need to memorize...

The limitations are the killer's... know all engine limitaions on all 3 models inside out, they are asked on the oral. This is where most of my class had problems. All of the other limitations too. Emergency memory items are not to bad if you came from another 121.

Do not expect a really intense systems class, it is not what you may be building yourself up to. The rumor of the firehose worth of info is not PDT's style, that is why they have AQP. Consider it more of an "overview", as my instructor put it... we just fly the thing, we do not build it, or maintain it, that is what maintenance is for! Quite frankly I was shocked and equally pleasantly surprised at the overview concept, it gave me time to get those limitations down pat....

As for florida bases, Jax is rare, TPA not to much we had the same spread a year ago, but ask about reserve time in FL, just as I was leaving it was climbing quickly...

It is also good to hear PDT is getting NEW 300's, when I was there it was the China rejects that took months for mx to get airworthy.... Best of luck you will enjoy PDT!

Thanks a lot guys--
A special thanks to Dash driver and Spartus. That is some great information you gave. I appreciate all the help and look forward to flying with you all in the future.

Ryjacks- looks like we just made it. I will be in your class and since I recognize your name from Cal forums, looks like we'll have two former COEX'ers there. Congrats and I'll see you in class.

scottm

After some reading...
Do we supply our own Jepp binders or are they provided???

Will we get a chance to come home between training events or should we bring everything we need to fly?

Thanks for the help.

RJ

scheduale

Don't worry about the binders you sill get everything you need at ground school. Don't count on getting any time off. When I went through initial I didn't see anything but a hotel for two straight months. That could change with the backup of instructors and such but expecting not to go home is the safe bet. Mang hates paying for pilots that are not doing anything. So they push through people asap.

Latest resources

Back