Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Q's about retired USAF guy getting back into flying??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

afp

I retired as a USAF pilot in 2007 after 24 years. I am one of those guys who made a passion into a job and the passion lost it's sparkle. I have done that with a couple of things.

Anyway, I am now getting the urge to fly again (my USAF fini flight was Dec 2004 and my last assignment was a non-flying job). I have managed to keep around aviation in that the company I now work for has it's own jet, hangar, and pilots; and they let me manage that along with my other duties. Our company pilot even took me on a pre-season elk scouting trip in his Stinson 108, and that has set the hook for me.

I never tried to keep a nice logbook of all my military time. I'd just kept track enough to verify what was on the Flight Records printout they gave me once every few months. I recently bought a nice logbook and my idea was to consolidate everything on one logbook.

The military tracks time differently than civil aviation and I have found a mil to civ conversion. My question is should I use the straight up totals from my USAF flight records or should I add the .2 per sortie to make it more like civilian aviation time?

start applying, you are known quantity, with your background there is no doubt you are trainable. But are you willing to do what is takes to get back into flying career. Moves, crummy jobs at first? low pay?

start applying, you are known quantity, with your background there is no doubt you are trainable. But are you willing to do what is takes to get back into flying career. Moves, crummy jobs at first? low pay?

Absolutely not--too old for that. I am speaking of flying for fun, which automatically precludes and pilot job--though I may push on my company owner to be a backup pilot for our jet. I just want to have my logbook in a form that will make sense to the local GA flight instructors who will be checking me out.

I would give them the straight totals, you have plenty of time. You are not competing on an hourly cut off. There is a chance of confusion with some who is not familiar with the military conversion format would be confused by your modified records. Best of luck let us know how it goes. A thought, use your GI bill, buy a type rating in the company jet and an ATP.

Latest resources

Back