QFE: training or study materials

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigsky

I recently did a flight to the former Soviet Union and was exposed to QFE, and different altimeter settings. I understand the basics(were still alive) but at the same time I would like to bone up on the some of the technicalities and was wondering if any one was familiar with a good study guide or info. That is something you dont see much of and in mountainous terrain can be quite disastorous if not done correctly.

ICAO

This is ICAO terminology. See if the International Civil Aviation Organization has a website. I'll try to check later.

Dialing QFE in the altimeter window should result in a reading of 0 when you land at that field. It gives an elevation above field elevation. For instance, if QNH was 29.97 and you were landing at an airport 150 feet above sea level, the QFE would be 29.82 (given by the tower). When you enter traffic at 1150 MSL, your altimeter should read 1000'.

Here is a blurb about QFE:

http://www.booty.demon.co.uk/metinfo/isa.htm

Thanks for the link! yes I think American used to use that method for awhile.
In my case This was obviously complicated by the language barrier. In our last case the transition level was 4000 feet and I never heard a QFE altimeter setting. We definitely had QNH and were told to descend to 700 meters(approx 2200 feet). we were aware that they used QFE so quickly caught the fact that the airport elevation was greater than 700 meters so used a conversion on Jep chart and descended to about 4800. It just seemed like there was a lot of room for error and along with the fact it was IMC, all night flight and the english language had taken on a new form It made me realize I might try to get some more info.

ICAO jargon

I couldn't find a link. Military pilots use ICAO terminology; maybe one will respond and provide a link.

If you're using Jepps, the Frankfurt Text should provide info on correct altimetry procedures for whatever country you're flying in. Of course with the demise of the Soviet Union and the breakup of some eastern European countries, I've found it's not always easy to know what country you're in or over!.

I don't have a copy of it with me, but at ATA there's one on every plane, along with enough other stuff to fill up all the area that normally would be used for crew bags. When I'm really bored I'll pull it out and read up on procedures in some place like Uzbekistan. You never know when you might find yourself getting sent there.

Yes I did look under the Frankfurt text but never found this country listed.( I found Uzbekistan, and Turkistan...ie)Also this was a S.A.R.A airport but the Jepps had no pictoral qualifications, nor did we get the usual stack of info from the company-- just increased wx minimums and away we went

Latest resources

Back