• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fahlguy

WTF*Over!
Hey everybody,
I am looking for some info on both carriers, recently furloughed from AAI, I have a family and was wondering can you commute or have to move to either country. All that is on pprune is bashing both. would like some real insight if at all possible. Have ATR pic time. Qatar offering 777 type rating. Thanks for any input

Flew with an S/O recently who was an ATR72 Capt with Kingfisher. He said it was good money, but "challenging" flying, frequently with VERY low time F/O's.

Could be fun, working for an airline owned by a brewery...

Hey everybody,
I am looking for some info on both carriers, recently furloughed from AAI, I have a family and was wondering can you commute or have to move to either country. All that is on pprune is bashing both. would like some real insight if at all possible. Have ATR pic time. Qatar offering 777 type rating. Thanks for any input

Qatar is not a commuting job.

TP

I hear the management at Qatari are militant and very restrictive. No surprise given you live in the Middle East. What is the training bond for the 777 at QR? I would imagine 3+ years.

If you can get the 777 rating and experience QR might be worth the effort but you would have to live in Doha. A 777 rating could be helpful if you want to continue flying internationally (EK, Korean, Singapore, etc.). If you want a less-restrictive management style, Kingfisher would probably be better. I assume you would fly the Airbus - would they throw in the training or would you have to cover that?

You should check out some of the contracts for Chinese airlines as well. Good luck!

Insite

Kingfisher will not put you on the Airbus. They're short of ATR pilots. The money is good, flying is easy...yes, you will fly with low time F/O. Security for the DGCA will take you around 4 months...there is a state mass confusion over India...but..good luck..if you have anymore questions..please ask.

Will Kingfisher hire F/Os who are not from India? I heard that they started just hiring Captains and using local Indian pilots with low time for their F/Os.

Expat First Officers are being phased out. Expat Captains will follow, that is a certainty. It may take a few years, but the Indians don't want them and they will not last very long. Expat jobs in India are not long term like the Middle East and Asia.

Typhoonpilot

Expat First Officers are being phased out. Expat Captains will follow, that is a certainty. It may take a few years, but the Indians don't want them and they will not last very long. Expat jobs in India are not long term like the Middle East and Asia.

Typhoonpilot

Why do you think Asia will be more long term than India? I can see the middle east because in most countries the natives would not lower themselves to such menial labor. But Asia? Is it because you think their growth projections are so large they can not train or is it a cultural thing or something else. Thanks

Latest resources

Back