Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain X

Who is John Galt?
Just curious, how come the spoilers on the Q400 are deployed before you guys advance the power for takeoff?

I mean systems-wise...or is it an airline-specific procedure?

I noticed this in EWR the other day and it struck me as odd.

Not a Q pilot, but I am dash driver and with the exception of the 200/300 (which don't have a ground mode for the roll spoilers) I think they all operate the same:

Conditions for roll spoiler in ground mode deployment are:

1. Wieght on all three gear
2. Flight/taxi sw. to flight (taxi retracts spoilers on ground)
3. Power levers near flight idle. (microswitch in power lever quadrant).

Crossing the holdshort line, the flight/taxi switch is moved to flight, so all three deployment criteria are met. As the power is increased above flight idle, the spoilers retract and begin to act like regular roll spoilers again.

A Q driver might tell you different, but that's how the -100 works.

What else does the flight/taxi switch control?

What would happen if you tried to take off with the switch in the taxi position?

What else does the flight/taxi switch control?

What would happen if you tried to take off with the switch in the taxi position?

it automatically goes to flight when you hit a certain power lever angle. my solution to lazy captains!

Some captains goose the power levers so it snaps to flight automatically...saves the FO the trouble of leaning over to flip it. Also activates the TO warning horn briefly if you arent configured correctly.

I fly the 400 and we put the Flight/Taxi (spoiler) switch to "Flight" when we taxi into-position-and-hold, and the spoilers (all 4) go 'up' as a self-test. They will stay in the 'up' position until we advance the power levers above a 12-degree power lever angle switch, then they're automatically stowed.

Latest resources

Back