Q400 or CRJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sdlehodges

Had an interview in PDX with Horizon on the 17th. Awesome company, great people. Six of us interviewed, only 2 got the job, I think (one for sure). The sim ride was the toughest, but I guess I did alright. Got offered the Q400 in PDX or the CRJ in DEN. Where should I go? Big decision!

Wow...

They gave you a choice?? That's a first.

den or pdx

I might take the jet. You can always bid to Pdx at a later date if Den is not your first choice. The schedules will be better in the jet due to longer stage lengths(high block). So in theory you should have fewer legs and more days off. The pay is based on sen. and not equipment so no worries there. Anyway congrats and welcome aboard.

Tom D
d-8
pdx

Congrats on the job.
IMHO, if you don't have some connection to one city or the other and the decision is based on aircraft, you'd be crazy to choose the 400. I'd choose the jet for many reasons. You will have plenty of time to fly around at FL250 in the Dash when you upgrade in 4 years. The trips seem to be slightly better in the jet than the -400 or the -200, few 5+ leg days because jet stage lengths are longer. As far as growth, there will be 2 new "Q"400's next year, then 2 jets per year starting in '05 and beyond subject to change. QXwill be hiring into both airplanes in the future so I would think your relative seniority in each aircraft would be about the same. I don't know much about the -400 but my buddies who were forced into it would all much rather fly the CRJ700 and most of the FA's seem to agree jet trips are a bit easier. Good luck.

Pick the jet. The CRJ-700 is really nice and the ability to move back to PDX or SEA eventually on the jet should be there someday. Also, DEN is a nice area (not that PDX is not), and not very expensive. ( I have friends there....) Go for the jet.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

The General is right about the jet. However, Denver is anything but cheap. Maybe compared to Boston, DC, NY or Orange County it is cheaper but Denver has a slightly higher cost of living index than Portland/Vancouver. The little extra cost of Colorado is worth it just to see the sun all winter!

The Q400 is a sweet machine and I think it looks cool as #ell. The glass is true 3rd gen. Honeywell Primus..unlike the Atari 2600 Collins on the CRJ. The Q-400 is a more advanced airplane.
Everybody makes a big deal about the 700...it's all hype. Speed doesn't mean anything when you get paid by the hour. When you land at an airport in the Q4 you get attention...when a CRJ lands "yaaaaaawn".

Also, the Q4 has 5000+ horses per engine...it's fast for a prop (like the Saab 2000)

I really like Portland...it's the west coast and it has a good vibe. If it were me, I would go with the Q400 for upgrade and quality of life, plus, Horizon is the only one flying the Q4 in the United States...so it's a unique experience.

Upgrades at Horizon will take you forever and a day. That being said, take the jet - get some good jet time. If you were offered the Q200 vs. the Q400 I would say quickly take the Q400 in a heartbeat - it is a great looking and FAST turboprop.

Congrats - better to log the jet time - take the jet!

Last edited:
PDX all the way!

Anywhere a first year FO will live in Denver will likely be a few hours from the airport. If you have never been to KDEN, it is quite a hike from downtown. Like in Kansas or something, I am not sh1tting you. You have to think about the months and months of reserve and that long drive to the airport.

In Portland the airport is close to downtown. You can live in WA with no income tax and do all your shoping in OR with no sales tax. The strip clubs are better and as previously mentioned lap dances will cost you less in Portland than Denver.

Jet vs Turboprop: WHO CARES!

It is SIC time dude. Even if it was PIC time the majors didn't care one bit during the boom times. By the way, turboprops are harder to fly than jets. The pay is the same, the uniform is the same, so its all lifestyle my friend.

Remember there are 2 flight attendants on each of those planes. So no matter what, your odds of hooking up are better.

Great Job in getting hired. Remember we are all counting on YOU!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back