• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Q400 nose wheel collapse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told the other day that PDT has forbidden single-engine taxi procedures on all -100 series airframes because of excessive stress cracking of the nose-gear assembly attach points on the nose gear bulkhead walls.

Any corrolation?

T8

I was told the other day that PDT has forbidden single-engine taxi procedures on all -100 series airframes because of excessive stress cracking of the nose-gear assembly attach points on the nose gear bulkhead walls.

Any corrolation?

T8

I think the stress cracking is more due to the push backs in LGA. They leave those nose gears cocked 90 degrees off all the time... It can't be good for it when you flick the steering on and the nose gear tries to center itself (makes a bad sound, anyway). Powering out of that situation is bad for it too, I am sure.

You'll note that the ban is only for the -100s. The only procedure that is exclusive to the -100s is LGA pushbacks. Seems kind of clear cut to me, but I could be wrong.

I think the stress cracking is more due to the push backs in LGA. They leave those nose gears cocked 90 degrees off all the time... It can't be good for it when you flick the steering on and the nose gear tries to center itself (makes a bad sound, anyway). Powering out of that situation is bad for it too, I am sure.

You'll note that the ban is only for the -100s. The only procedure that is exclusive to the -100s is LGA pushbacks. Seems kind of clear cut to me, but I could be wrong.

One of my last PDT trips, pushing out of LGA, guy didnt attach toe bar all the way to the tug (was attached to the nose just fine)....Began his push back in the alley, then turned his wheel to turn us, then the tug stopped moving, we kept moving, heard an awful snap sound....

Toe bar swung around under the -100. Didnt look nice. Had an orange safety flyer put out about that one. Anyone see it?

Still made it to ROA after after a quick swap!

Latest resources

Back