Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brokedash

Member of the DX A-Team
Kind of a technical Q, but do you guys fill out a weight form before dept?

The times I've caught rides on WN I don't recall seeing one but I'm unsure.

BTW just asking out of curiousity.

Thx.

The Ops Agent (SWA's version of the gate agent) prepares a loading form which is printed off and given to the flight crew. The info is entered into the OPC . The OPC (On Board Preformance Computer) is bascially a tablet PC which has the performance models for all the aircraft along with the MEL and is stored behind one of the seats. The OPC displays a data screen of takeoff data after the final load numbers are entered. The pilots don't fill out a load sheet like some airlines have; it is filled out by the Ops Agent and then the data is checked by the pilots for right tail number, fuel load, pax, etc. It is part of the process to make things go a little faster at departure time.

The Ops Agent (SWA's version of the gate agent) prepares a loading form which is printed off and given to the flight crew. The info is entered into the OPC . The OPC (On Board Preformance Computer) is bascially a tablet PC which has the performance models for all the aircraft along with the MEL and is stored behind one of the seats. The OPC displays a data screen of takeoff data after the final load numbers are entered. The pilots don't fill out a load sheet like some airlines have; it is filled out by the Ops Agent and then the data is checked by the pilots for right tail number, fuel load, pax, etc. It is part of the process to make things go a little faster at departure time.

The best part of the OPC is that you'll never hear a Southwest guy say "We're still waiting for the numbers"

Thx. I've seen the OPC before while jumping on WN. I knew it calculated rwy data but not all the load data. Very cool tool.

The best part of the OPC is that you'll never hear a Southwest guy say "We're still waiting for the numbers"

But, you might here a "We at SWA would like o apologize for the delay, as the computer we use to load the W&B data and perform our T/O data is broken and we're trying to secure a replacement."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"We at SWA would like o apologize for the delay, as the computer we use to load the W&B data and perform our T/O data is broken and we're trying to secure a replacement."

No, you probably wouldn't hear that either. when an OPC is MEL'd then dispatch sends the numbers via acars. I guess in that case you might hear an SWA plane that was 'waiting for the numbers' but since it doesn't happen that often, the dispatchers are usually pretty quick about it. In my almost 6 years here, I don't remember ever waiting for the numbers or hearing another SWA guy doing it.

now, waiting for someone to marshal us into a gate or for bags to get loaded or for ground air or ground power to get connected, every single day I fly.

No, you probably wouldn't hear that either. when an OPC is MEL'd then dispatch sends the numbers via acars. I guess in that case you might hear an SWA plane that was 'waiting for the numbers' but since it doesn't happen that often, the dispatchers are usually pretty quick about it. In my almost 6 years here, I don't remember ever waiting for the numbers or hearing another SWA guy doing it.

now, waiting for someone to marshal us into a gate or for bags to get loaded or for ground air or ground power to get connected, every single day I fly.

You "love bags." They fly free. But ground air and parking will cost ya! :cool:

...thanks first third... all we need is the take off weight... we have all the digitial atis right at our desk... then its a copy and paste.... takes about 10 seconds tops

Do you guys have any idea when SWA will start to hire again?

Latest resources

Back