Q for SWA Pool Rats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Future Plans....?

I thought the following might interest my fellow poolies.... picked this up while browsing for SWA news. Sounds promising!!

July 31, 2002

Southwest committed to BWI expansion
Scott Graham-Staff

Southwest Airlines, the largest carrier at Baltimore/Washington International Airport, could nearly double its service to the nation's fastest growing airport within the next three years, a Southwest official told BWI district business leaders Wednesday.

Bob Montgomery, Southwest's vice president of properties and facilities, told the members of the BWI Business Partnership that the low-cost carrier could open 26 new gates by early 2005, with room to add another five gates by the end of that year.

"Our deepest desire is to add capacity here as soon as we can," Montgomery said.

Already, BWI accounts for 138 Southwest departures a day, which is third highest in the carrier's network, he said. The airport handles 11 percent of Southwest's total flying hours, 12 percent of its customer base and 12.5 percent of the company's annual revenues.

Southwest has increased its staff at BWI by about 20 percent within the last year, Montgomery said. The airline could add as many as 14 new domestic flights next year, he said.

Southwest's expansion at BWI includes the construction of a new 31-gate, 500,000-square-foot terminal that is expected to be finished by the end of 2005.

Neil Shpritz, executive director of the BWI Business Partnership, estimated that Southwest's planned expansion could result in nearly 250 Southwest daily departures.

Copyright 2002 American City Business Journals IncNeil Shpritz, executive director of the BWI Business Partnership, estimated that Southwest's planned expansion could result in nearly 250 Southwest daily departures.

SWA on the rise at BWI

I had heard a rumor a few months ago that when US Airways told BWI that they were to pull out completely, and that BWI told SWA they could have 75% of the slots and that AirTran could have the remaining 25%. It looks like it is true.

Latest from PD

I spoke with LL yesterday and asked her where I stand in the pool. On the latest flightinfo list I'm number 20 and she advised I would make the 2nd class, nothing said about the first. So I must be in the in the top 40 on the actual SWA list. Hope it gives you all a good idea on where you stand.

Oh, also she said they were just waiting for flight ops to make the decision on upcoming classes. She didn't say anything about no classes for the rest of the year. Hang in there boys and girls, shouldn't be to much longer.

Latest resources

Back