Q for AWAC pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xcr600

I am going to be starting class soon for your company and wondering if I need to buy a new headset or not. If so should I just get the Telex 750? Thanks guys

Last edited:
Get through training first, but if you must look now, I believe the Lightspeed Mach 1's with the custom ear molds are the best headset out there for a regional jet.

Headset

A headset is really a personal choice; I found a pair of sennheiser hmec 25ka's on ebay for 300$ and grabbed 'em. The telex are fine, and your DCs will work well too, but I think the sennheiser setup is the greatest (very quiet, light and comfy.) Different people wear different headsets, it comes down to what you feel like doing, and if you can part with a few hundred on first year FO pay. AWAC will payroll deduct up to 300$ for headsets if you buy them as a new hire and provide a reciept.

Just to clarify, the company who I previously flew the CRJ for had 3 sets of Telex 750s in the AC so we did not have to buy our own. Does AWAC do this or will I need to provide my own? Thanks

You have to provide your own.

I use my Dave Clark's that I've had since 1989. I find the hiss in the cockpit more than I care for so I choose not to go to the Telex 750s. People who use the 750s are always going "say again"? Uh... maybe they spoke just fine. They've got the volume knobs turned all the way up and still can't hear. What does that tell yah?

Dave Clark's with gel seals. That's the ticket.

I agree with my fellow captain. David Clarks are A Otay. I've been using the same DC 13.4s since 1991. Only one overhaul so far and they work great. Even after 8 hours of FAR block I'm doing good. I have seen a lot of people having trouble understanding ATC and me with those tiny headsets that are popular with the RJ crowd.

AWACoff

xcr600 said:
I am going to be starting class soon for your company and wondering if I need to buy a new headset or not. If so should I just get the Telex 750? Thanks guys

I have tried a few headsets here - DC's 13.4, Lightspeed 25xl's, Bose X (loaned), Bose Quiet Comfort 2's, and finally the spare Telex 750 in the a/c.

I agree that the noise is too loud for just the Telex 750 headsets, but I find the fatigue greatly reduced when using them. So, what I do is use the small foamy orange ear plugs and put them in before starting up. It's the best of both worlds. I'm happy with the noise reduction (better than any PNR or ANR headset) and I can hear ATC and the intercom very clearly.

My second choice would probably be the bose X's, but considering you can pick up a used Telex 750 on ebay for ~$50, I just can't justify dropping $1000 right now.

Here's a guy who bought a Telex for his Cessna (what was he thinking?!?) and is selling for $50 right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TELEX-AIRMAN-750-HEADSET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26440QQitemZ4605016008QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You can either purchase the foam ear plugs in a large case or go to a ramper room and grab a bunch...

~wheelsup

Last edited:
I use my DC 13.4s. As previously stated, you need to provide your own. Alot of guys use the 750s and keep doing it so I guess they aren't that bad. I found the noise to be a bit loud with them. I like some passive NR. I haven't tried the earplugs with them though. They don't take up much room in the flight case and they are cheap which is a plus. The DCs will get a bit tiresome after a long day of flying but I have used them for 3 years without problem. I would like to try the Sennheisers when I get the dough.

AWACoff said:
.... Even after 8 hours of FAR block I'm doing good. I have seen a lot of people having trouble understanding ATC and me with those tiny headsets that are popular with the RJ crowd.....
AWACoff

If you're doing '8 hours of FAR block', you aint 'doing good' brother! And it's not worth going bald for! And I thought you guys were an 'all RJ Crowd'?
Nooooo, wait.....I still see a Bachasaraus in DEN occassionally. Try not not mingle with the RJ crowd, they're icky people...kinda like midgets.

Last edited:
i always use the David Clarks. Yuk company headsets, nice gesture but nasty i always considered a head set kinda like a toothbrush, just think of all the lice and psoriasis and dandruff on that thing.
by the way how the F***K does one spell psoriasis.

Latest resources

Back