Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Purpose of the spark plug sleeve in a CubCrafters Lycoming 363i engine?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
The 363i is a custom and experimental engine CubCrafters modified from a Lycoming IO-360 to lighten it and take it to 186 HP. In my recent condition inspection I questioned where the 15 ft-lb torque setting came from for the spark plugs as they come out easily when torqued at 15 ft-lbs, too easily? I ended up finding that info in this post but in a discussion with fellow FX-3 owner @Tsquared he had a note from his A&P he uses for condition inspections regarding different torque values and diameters of plugs including a sleeve torque. Sleeve? What are you talking about I asked...did my A&P last year discard something during the condition inspection done at Raleigh at a CubCrafters "service center"??? Now I'm worried I may have done something terrible, long story short, no, if you didn't have said sleeve the spark plug would not have anything to thread into.

When I got my compression tester the fittings were too large and I learned that my plugs are automotive size plugs, 14mm, vs the much larger size my tester was configured for. I ordered the correct adapter which came yesterday and I completed the compression tests. I took a picture of this "sleeve" and wonder WHY? Why is this in the engine? Is this just so we can use automotive size spark plugs? Without this sleeve would we need the larger and more expensive plugs? And of course there are maintenance considerations needed for this sleeve, and related components.

Anyone know the purpose of this or backstory?

IMG_4977.png

Latest resources

Back