Pt 91 Cproprate Partnership Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HA XPEH

How do you guys structure your airplane agreement when it is involved with more than one owner? I know this question has been discussed at great legnth, but I am trying to shed some new light on this without going crazy. This is easier to do with a small single piston such as a flight club, but when one moves on to a turboprop/jet operation the setup always becomes much more complicated.

Company A and Company B want to share an airplane and remain part 91. I have researched this to death and keep coming back to the same problem-Setting up the agreement as an LLC crosses over the line to Pt. 135. Some attorneys say that the only way to legally do this pt 91 is with a joint ownership agreement, but others say that it is possible with both companies being owners of the LLC and the LLC owns the airplane. One aviation attorney even went on to say the only way to ever get the answer to this would be through litigation. Nobody ever wants to go down that road. It can also get very complicated as to where the flight crew is employed with. Will the flight crew will be employed from the LLC, or as a "Flight Department Manager" from company A or B?

Sorry about the mess. Thoughts? Much appreciation to thoughtful/helpful responses.

pick an attorney, let them decided, you ask them if it is an legal part 91 operations, don't ask anymore questions, ...just my two cents.

You might also research with NBAA, they deal with this all the time and even have some special exemptions available to members for leasing etc that could apply here.

I think two months ago, BCA had a very good article regarding this situation. If the owner is setting up an LLC for the sole purpose of operating the airplane and the LLC conducts no other business, the FAA says you cannot do that part 91. Yes we spoke at great lengths with an aviation attorney about this.

But again, I am just a pilot :laugh:

I think two months ago, BCA had a very good article regarding this situation. If the owner is setting up an LLC for the sole purpose of operating the airplane and the LLC conducts no other business, the FAA says you cannot do that part 91. Yes we spoke at great lengths with an aviation attorney about this.

But again, I am just a pilot :laugh:

That is true and the FAA legal dept has ruled on this.

I missed the BCA airticle. So the LLC owns the airplane then hires the services of a management company, legal then?

Can someone please post this article if you can or point me in the direction of the month of the article referencing this?

When the only asset in the LLC is the aircraft, the FAA views the LLC as being set up to provide transportation, hence 135.

Latest resources

Back