• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pt 91 Business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you need a Class 2 medical to fly Pt 91 business in which you are being paid?

To add a little to Paulsalem's answer, it depends on the specifics of the situaition.

Take a look at 61.113(b)

(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and

(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.

OK, let's say that you were an employee of a manufacturing equipment company and you job was servicing that manufacturing equipment at customer's sites. And lets say that you had to make a service call that was going to require a 5 hour drive each way, and because you had about 4 hours of work to do once there, it was going to require that you stay overnight. You point out to your boss that the customer site was right next to a municipal airport, and you could fly there in the company owned 172, in 1 1/2 hours, do the work and fly back in the same day. And that the cost of flying the company airplane there would be less than the cost of paying you while you drove 10 hours, the cost ofhte hotel, meals, overtime etc. So he agrees, the next day, you show up, clock in then go out, fire up the 172 and off you go, all on the payroll, till you get back to base.

That would be within the priveliges of a private pilot, even though you were getting paid while you were flying the airplane, it is incidental to both the company's business (selling and servicing manufacturing equipment) and incidental to your employemnt at the company (You are employed as a service technician)

For a situaton like that, you wouldn't need a second or first class medican, because you'r only exercising private pilot priveliges.

For other scenarios, you would need a second class medical.

Lets say you were employed as a pilot by an aerial survey company. Mostly what you do is pilot an airplane on aerial survey missions.

SOme moght argue that the flying is only incidental to the business, in htat the business is *surveying* and the flying is only incidental to that. Personally, I think that's stretching the definition of "incidentaly" a little too far, and I'm skeptical that the FAA would go along with that. No matter, though, even if the flying is deemed incidental to the company's business, the flying is *not* incidental to your employment by that company. You were hired as a pilot, and other than some other minor duties, that's what you do, fly airplanes. remember the reg says:
(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment;

The same is true of corporate flying. The flying is only incidental to the *business* but it is not incidental to the *employement* of the pilots who are hired to fly the airplanes.

So, if you're not exercising private pilot priveliges, you need a second class or higher medical certificate.

I would be very conservative in employing the "flying incidental to business or employment" exception. I don't know of any case law specifically addressing this, but I can tell you that the FAA and the NTSB interprets Private Pilot privleges in general *very* strictly.

Lets take out all the PP part of that, as I am a comm.
still need the II?
my only job for the pt 91 business is flying.

still need the II?
If you are paid to fly the airplane. Then you need a second class medical.

If you are flying the airplane to make a sales pitch (yourself) than you do not need a 2nd class medical.

still need the II?

I may not have been clear when I brought in the references to Privete Pilots. Even if you have a commercial pilot certificate, certain operations may only be exercising private pilot priveliges. I have an ATP, but if I go out and fly my own airplane, I am only exercising Pirivate Pilot priviliges, therefore I only need a third class medical.

It would seem from that statement that the fling is not incidental to your employnment, in fact if I read this correctly, you employment is exclusively for flying. In which case you would need a second Class medical (or first) because when doing htat flying you are exercising commercial pilot privleges.

still need the II?

KISS - If your job is flying the company plane, you are exercising commercial privileges. If you are exercising commercial privileges, you need a commercial pilot certificate and a 2nd class medical.

Latest resources

Back