Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fokkerflyer

Hi all:

A good friend, long time permanent US resident, but non US citizen is trying to regain employment in our beloved industry. He had interviewed with XYZ company (Pt. 135), got the nod, he was waiting on a class date.

He was recently told however that due to post 9/11 Regulation changes XYZ company was unable to employ non US citizens.

Here is my question: is there indeed a new regulation regarding non US citizens being prohibited from 135 PIC positions or is this just another ploy to thin out the resume stack?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

FF

There is no regulation that prohibits someone from being hired if you are not a citizen. Because it would be a violation of the act against discrimination.

Now with 9-11 there are other issues, which might have a potential employer think twice about hiring a non-citizen. For one, there's the new reg. about required backgroundchecks for any sim-training over 12.500 lbs.Possible delay, loss of time and money. Another reason, esp. for a 135 operator, would be if they do work for the governmt. Some require a security clearence level for their pilots, which is obtainable only for citizens.

hth. :cool:

There is something in place now (I don't have a specific reference)that more substantial background checks occur prior to hiring a non-citizen (prior to duty) and of course work visas are going to be checked more thouroughly. Our FSDO advised us that we need to notify them prior to hiring any non-citzen. Other countries put restrictions on the ability of non-citizens to work there. Why not here? There are plenty of out of work citizens to fill vacancies. Back in the early 90's when I was desperate for a CFI job in my home town, we had a flight school that had a contract with a Dutch organization to train Dutch students as well as local students. These students were subsidized from home. Students were given cheap accomodations. Although I had some good credentials and about 450 hrs, they hired a Dutch national fresh out of flight school with about 270 hrs. They promoted their students from witin to be instrctors as well with low pay. Their students then went on to take other flying jobs in this country well below the normal pay scale. The flight school then sold aircraft and moved to a less expensive area. Their economic impact on this community was minimal and they took their training talent elsewhere. I have no love loss here.

Latest resources

Back