Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Maria

That's Miz Beetch to you
Heading to the PSA schoolhouse in a week and just received the "have all your measurements" email.

As the budget is quite tight and I've two complete sets of uniforms in the closet that still fit (amazing how unemployment dumping you keeps you thin), I've a few questions.

Is the hat required?

What color are PSA's pants? Are they an off-navy or off-black that's a PITA to source outside M&H? Any successful alternatives? I've had M&H fall-aparts before and would like to avoid paying for junk.

Is their leather jacket similar to other airlines, like XJT, i.e. close enough that no one will care about the differences?

Are you required to purchase a certain number of uniform items, like pilot shirts and such?

Thanks

We don't really have PSA Uniform Inspectors. But some people push the limit.
Black pants, White Pilot shirt. No hat required. Black shoes and please no white socks.
You will need a US Airways Tie and Belt. Although i never see people wearing the approved belt. Buy a blazer it seems more versatile.
Winter is coming and the leather jacket is not suitable for the climate. So people wear a long black wool coat. Looks professional but isn't on our list. Management can go to buffalo with just a thin pair of pants and a crappy leather jacket and see how long it is before they get sick. Then again they don't have any idea what we do so what do you expect?

Winter is coming and the leather jacket is not suitable for the climate. So people wear a long black wool coat. Looks professional but isn't on our list. Management can go to buffalo with just a thin pair of pants and a crappy leather jacket and see how long it is before they get sick. Then again they don't have any idea what we do so what do you expect?

Leather jacket isn't suitable for the winter? That's exactly what it seems most guys go to in the winter.

I didn't know cold weather carries viruses ;-) You'll catch cold!

Winter is coming and the leather jacket is not suitable for the climate.

Thanks for the info. My leather jacket from a previous airline has the thinsulate lining and served me well for YVR and CLE overnights. Do y'all go anywhere colder?

Well when it's -15c in buffalo and snowing you will wish you didn't have just a Chinese made leather jacket. It maybe fine for running from your car to the office, but doing a walk around or waiting for a van....not so good.
Yes cold/virus isn't really related although you do decrease your immune system by not being properly dressed. Or also a theory is that a cold virus grows better at a lower body temperature. And your nose hairs aren't as efficient and allow bacteria to grow.
Whatever you believe, people in cold climates survive by dressing for the occasion. Rarely will you see a Canadian in winter wearing a leather jacket. YVR sure. Montreal, No. If you do, their American.

Any black pants will do for the most part. If you're easily chilly just wear a sweater under the jacket. Don't need the hat. Don't need the belt.

Well when it's -15c in buffalo and snowing you will wish you didn't have just a Chinese made leather jacket.

I couldn't remember the code for KYVR, but yeah, I've worn the leather in Montreal. I don't do the cheap chinese junk, thus my desire to keep what works.

Thanks for the answers.

Don't sweat it.

The belt M&H sells you sux. The finish is wearing off after 6 months. The buckle is gold colored. With no other gold on the uniform it looks gay. Any plain, leather black belt with a silverish buckle will work. It sounds like a couple of ties and you should be good. The hat and blazer are optional.
I bought the raincoat & like it. Dry and warm with a removable liner.
PSA doesn't "make" you buy anything. So long as it's black your probably fine. The uniform nazis are few and far between here. Shave, Shower & Show up for the van on time & we'll be tickled.

the black is easy to get without going thru M&H. I ordered black slacks last year from a mens catalog ($35/pair) and they look just like the ones the company got us from M&H in 2008 when they switched.

Actually the M&H blazer from the company got pissed on by my girlfriends cat when I lived in CLT back in 08/09. At the time I thought I was getting furloughed so I actually laughed instead of swinging the cat by its tail and tossing it off her 3rd floor apartment balcony.

I cut the sleeves off the blazer where the cat didn't piss to save the stripes. Ordered a standard black blazer from Macys (I think) and had the stripes stiched back on. Can't tell the diff. Way cheaper than M&H.

So no I don't think you'll have any problems sourcing black outside M&H. Back when we had the navy blue it was much harder.

Last edited:
When its raining or snowing, a long coat will keep you dry below the waist...a leather jacket won't. But that's a matter of preference.

Latest resources

Back