• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Checks

1. Is there a training contract at PSA?

2. Do they pay you in training?

3. How close to the airport do you have to be for Reserve duty?

4. Are the really going to get a bunch of jets? Where will they find the money? Just curious because I have an interview soon.

THANKS

Checks said:
1. Is there a training contract at PSA?

2. Do they pay you in training?

3. How close to the airport do you have to be for Reserve duty?

4. Are the really going to get a bunch of jets? Where will they find the money? Just curious because I have an interview soon.

THANKS

Hi Checks,

I haven't worked for PSA in years, but I'll answer your questions as it used to be (and maybe still is)...

1. No
2. Yes
3. Used to be a 45 minute callout time for reserves.
4. I can't imagine that they'll be getting any jets. They are wholly owned by USAirways, and even though USAirways just upped the number of RJ's allowed to be flown under their colors, the contract carriers (Mesa/Chataqua/who knows who else) bear the cost of buying the jets; whereas USAirways would have to buy the RJ's for any of the wholly owned regionals. Maybe there's some creative financing PSA could do to secure the RJ's, but I think the coffers still answer to USAirways.

Good luck.

US AIRWAYS' PSA AIRLINES SUBSIDIARY AND ALPA REACH AGREEMENT FOR REGIONAL JET FLYING

ARLINGTON, Va., June 10, 2002 -- US Airways announced today that US Airways Express carrier, PSA Airlines, has reached an agreement with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) that will allow the operation of regional jet aircraft.

The agreement between PSA Airlines and ALPA's MEC is for regional jet flying to be undertaken by the carrier's pilots. PSA Airlines -- a wholly-owned subsidiary of US Airways Group, Inc. -- currently operates a fleet of 30 Dornier 328 turbo-prop aircraft, serving 30 destinations centered in the Ohio Valley and in the eastern U.S.

US Airways President and Chief Executive Officer Dave Siegel said the agreement is "an important step" in preparing for US Airways' expansion of regional jet services across its U.S. network. "This agreement is mutually beneficial for both the company and its employees," he said. "The growth of regional jet operations represents the future for US Airways. It is central to the successful restructuring of our company."

PSA Airlines' previous agreement with ALPA did not include provisions for the operation of regional jet aircraft. The development follows an agreement in April between US Airways and ALPA to increase the number of regional jets within its US Airways Express network from 70 to 140.

US Airways is currently evaluating aircraft types, and will be making a decision shortly on its selection of regional jet equipment, delivery schedules and the number of aircraft that will be deployed in PSA Airlines. PSA Airlines, based in Dayton, Ohio, employs more than 1,500 staff and currently operates 200 daily departures.

Siegel said that US Airways is in active negotiations with regional jet manufacturers and credit providers to secure the necessary capital required to obtain more RJ aircraft. He said that the placement of RJs at PSA Airlines would be determined by US Airways' ability to secure aircraft delivery positions and financing, but that "a major impediment -- the lack of a labor agreement -- has now been resolved."

PSA Airlines is one of three wholly-owned US Airways Express carriers, which, together with seven other affiliate carriers, currently operate more than 2,200 US Airways Express flights daily, serving 162 destinations in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean.

Copyright © 2002, US Airways, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Re: Re: PSA ?'s

Shows how much I know. Congrats to the PSA guys and gals on FINALLY getting some jets. No offense to any contract carrier pilots, but I always felt that the wholly owned pilots should have been given the opportunity to fly RJ's long ago. I still feel it was economics that made USAir look outside it's owned subsidiaries to buy/fly the existing RJ's. The scope language didn't specify WHO had to fly them, and that was a major boofer on the mainline ALPA's part. Too bad Fairchild-Dornier is in the shape they are in...that 328 prop to 328 jet transition would have been a snap!

If PSA gets a sizeable chunk of the RJ's does that mean that upgrade possibilities in the Dornier for a new-hire is imminent or am I reading the crystal ball wrong? Any info is good info....

Fly Safe

Tax Money

You said, "Our Tax Money"

Just a reminder that the federal loan guarantees are just that - guarantees. They are really no different than your parents co-signing a loan on a car for you.

The government does NOT loan the money to the airlines
They simply cosign the loan.

Its a great deal for the banks really, they get to loan a billion dollars to an airline with no fear that they wont get their money back. "Dad" (the government) co-signs the loan.

So the taxpayers dont pay for anything unless USAir defaults. Thats one of the reasons that the airline transport stabilization board so carefully reviews each application and demands that there be a business plan which would result in the repayment of the loan within 7 years.

So dont worry -- the next PSA RJ you see will NOT be paid for by taxpayer money, but rather by USAirways thanks to the hard work and dedication of ALL of the US Airways Group employees.

PS - How did the interview go?

My appologies about the previous post....didn't really know how it worked but thanks for the clarification.....lol

My interview is the 18th with the travel day being the 17th.....I'll defenitely let you know.....get ahold of Fred yet?

Latest resources

Back