Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
I had heard back in early December that PSA had intended to park 6 Dorniers later this year and was facing a pilot furlough in early 2003.

Now I understand they're hiring again?

What gives?

As I understand it we currently have a new hire class in session. However the reason for this is that over the last month and a half we have had a few people leave and the class is needed to bring us back to our normal staffing level.

To my knowledge this has nothing to do with expansion, but then we would be the last to find out. :rolleyes:

Skeezer

The same thing here at Allegheny. Guys at the bottom of the list are leaving for Comair, Air Wiss, and Chit taco. I can't blame them. A couple FO's have just up and quit too. Also some Capts are getting on at Airtran plus another for ATA and JB.

This leaves us short for normal staffing plus on some months mainline gives us an extra line of flying like this month and were short. As for hiring I've herd that we are taking furloughed PDT guys first. This is a win win because we don't need to spend as much on training and they get back to work. Anyway just what I've been told/herd.

Last I herd is we are down to 46 dashes with 45 lines of flying or 46 dashes with 46 lines...something like that.

Fletch,

The junior base here at PSA is Currently DAY. We just had a new hire class come through and all of them were awarded Dayton. After Dayton I think it is a toss-up between PIT, TYS, and CAK. However if you do get PIT you will be reserve for a loooong time because the company is putting a disproportionate (sp?) number of reserve lines there. In Dayton we had 1 reserve line in Feb (out of a total of like 49) and in March we have 0 reserve lines.

The first year pay right now is $20.00/hr and will go up to $20.40 starting 10/01/03. Gaurantee is 72 hours for reserve and 75 for a line holder. Per diem is $1.30/hr. My first year I cleared $25000 before taxes and that includes my per diem.

Hope that helps. Peace!

Skeezer

Wait I take that back......

I take back what I said last week, here's what I herd this week.

Yes its true we are loosing FO's and Capts to the places mentioned above. We will also have everyone on the sen. list as of the summer furlough (the one where we lost a/c to punnish us for not jumping all over J4J) including thoes in training at the time, will be back or offered the chance to come back.

It is assumed we will keep loosing FOs & Capts (gee go figure, I wonder why) so at some point we will need new hires. The problem is do we want to hire anyone b/c they will be furloughed when the "jets" (yeah right) come.

Once again according to the summer (aug.) 2002 "J4J threat letter" that the ALG president put out, we are sked. to start loosing Dashes in July/Aug 2003 at the present 46 a/c fleet and be at 30 or 31 by Nov./Dec. 2003. A 30 a/c fleet will support about 240 to 250 pilots, meaning over 100 on furlough by then. Remember even if we get "jets" (yeah rrrrrrrrrright) at the same time 50% have to be mainline guys meaning WO guys on the street anyway.

Another thing I was told this week is only 25 "jets"at ALG so when we get ride of all the Dash 8's the 25 Jets will support about 220 to 240 pilots. But again remember 50% are mainline guys so only the top 110 to 120 guys on the ALG list now will have jobs. This supports a DOH at ALG of late 80's early 90's.

SO THIS IS WHAT I HERD THIS WEEK, TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR ALL THE NEW NEWS/SPECULATION/RUMORS/GOSSIP

skeezer said:
Fletch,

The junior base here at PSA is Currently DAY. We just had a new hire class come through and all of them were awarded Dayton. After Dayton I think it is a toss-up between PIT, TYS, and CAK. However if you do get PIT you will be reserve for a loooong time because the company is putting a disproportionate (sp?) number of reserve lines there. In Dayton we had 1 reserve line in Feb (out of a total of like 49) and in March we have 0 reserve lines.

The first year pay right now is $20.00/hr and will go up to $20.40 starting 10/01/03. Gaurantee is 72 hours for reserve and 75 for a line holder. Per diem is $1.30/hr. My first year I cleared $25000 before taxes and that includes my per diem.

Hope that helps. Peace!

Skeezer

Hey Skeezer,

The date of the increase is 05/01/03 not 10/01/03. Sorry I'm super "Bored" today. Can ya tell?

Take Care

I received my last recall letter for ALG a few weeks ago. Since I passed on recall again, I am now officially resigned from ALG for the second time. ALG will probably have to hire off the street just to maintain the required staffing. Good luck to everyone looking for a job.

sayagain?

I've got one.....

Hey guys and girls,

I've got an interview scheduled on the 18th of March w/ PSA, any advice?

B

There is a lot of gouge on this interview. Sombody that has been here less might be able to help you better then me. Just be yourself, relax and have a good sense of humor. Very friendly interview. Search some of the other gouge sites.

Get some time in a AST before you interview if your can. If not, don't touch the rudder pedels.

PSA announced that they are to start hiring again next month and are taking resumes to begin a interview pool.

Latest resources

Back