ProwlerJO seeks advice on next orders

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whidbey

Hey guys, I'm a Prowler JO weighing options for my next set of orders. Thanks to all the more experienced guys, civilian and military, for the great advice to others I have read on this website.

I should roll from my first fleet tour with 750-800 in the Prowler (around 1000 to 1100 total military time). Obviously the two big options are the FRS and the VT's. Guys in the FRS from what I have been told are getting 150 to 200 a year, so in 2.5 years you could expect a little over 400 hours, with a portion of that being in the right seat instructing new pilots.

The VT's on the other hand have guys flying 450 to 550 a year. After their time in the IUT, guys get around 1000 hours of T-45 time in the same length tour.

What would put a guy in a better position to keep civilian opportunities open if he decided to get out down the road- barely 1500 or 1600 total time with 1200 in the Prowler, Or 2100-2200 total time with only 750-800 Prowler and another 1000 instructing in the T-45? If you went for quality of life and got orders to Pensacola, would 1000 in the T-6 vice the T-45 hurt you?

One more question. I love military flying (the paperwork less so)and would love to keep my hand in it in the Pacific Northwest in a few years. Is it possible for a prowler guy to get a reserve job with a C-17 or KC-135 unit if there were no openings in the Prowler Reserve unit?

I know in the meantime to keep my eye on the ball. Thanks for any help.

Life has so many choices. I had two tours as a JO and then I had a three year tour as an FRS instructor. I'm a new hire with SWA, I finished with about 2500 total time, but I went a couple of years past my initial commitment with the Navy. If location is your top priority and you like the Pacific Northwest, then go to the FRS. Realize that you will probably have to suck up a ship tour of some kind afterwards which would hurt your recent flight currency as you try to get out (unless you are an LSO). I was not the biggest flight hour hog, but I averaged 300 hours a year at the FRS. As a general rule the more flight time the better, so the VTs are good option since you don't have a ton of time. Most airlines like to see career progression PIC, instructor, NATOPS evaluator, etc. Airlines also like heavy transport time of some kind. More TACAIR time is not always as helpful as say some time in C-9 or C-17 might be. SWA and most airlines want a minimum of 1000 hours of turbine PIC so watch that requirement too. It could take you a couple of years to make PIC in a reserve or guard unit as a part timer. Another possible route to consider besides the FRS and VT is TAR. I wish that I had gone TAR. You could apply for TAR as a Prowler guy, VT or VR. Being a former or current FRS or VT instructor should help you be selected for TAR. We have been getting a lot of Helo TARs in my VR reserve unit so they would be happy to get a fixed wing for a change. Talk to the guys at the SAU if you have questions--Freak Davis. The best thing about going TAR is you don't have to go to the ship (although that could change). Good luck. Be the ball.

If your goal is to fly for an airline it's a no brainer. Just ask yourself where you're going to get the most PIC turbine time. That will make you competitive at any airline. I would not be at SWA if it weren't for the three fun filled years I spent in Del Rio, TX. Instructing has it's drawbacks, but it also has it's rewards. Life is predictable and it's refreshing to be around students who are excited about flying. Any plane you fly at a VT squadron will provide quality hours so don't worry about a T-34.

Another consideration is seniority. Everything is based on seniority. The sooner you get here, the sooner your quality of life starts to improve. So avoid any additional service commitments like the plague.

Hope this helps.

If you want to stay in go to the FRS. If you are getting out go to Krock or Meridian. You get as much flight time as you can swallow. I got 620 my first year my bud got 797! It's all JET PIC. Don't fly a turboprop unless it has 2 engines!

The other reason to go VT (T-45) is that the gouge is there, along with a bunch of drilling reservist who work for every major airline. They will write you letters of Rec (If they like you.....If your the skeds O, don't piss them off) and help you get hired.

Latest resources

Back