Pros/Cons of Membership Ratification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

So what are the pros and cons of MEMRAT? I've read the stuff on the NPA Forum, but would prefer to hear opinions from those outside AirTran who have MEMRAT or wish/don't wish they had it.

Figured I'd make this a separate thread for Murphy so more people might see it. Any non-AirTran types have any pro/cons of MemRat?

Figured I'd make this a separate thread for Murphy so more people might see it. Any non-AirTran types have any pro/cons of MemRat?

The NPA was kind enough to send out a list of reasons against it. Check your email. No equal time to list reasons for it, though.

It's not just about MEMRAT but about the changes to the constitutional by-laws. I've read the latest from the official NPA spokesman.

I only posted this since Murphy asked for opinions from outside the NPA/AirTran. I am aware of the NPA communications and have already voted for memrat.

If the MemRat passes, what's to prevent the BoD from handing management everything they want via the System Board like they did with the aisle or window seats on deadheads? This was not given up via an LOA.

I only posted this since Murphy asked for opinions from outside the NPA/AirTran. I am aware of the NPA communications and have already voted for memrat.

I'm assuming you're speaking of contract ratification? Having seen this from the inside as Management I'd say it only works with a 3/4 and never a 50/50 vote.

You see, about 10% of any pilot group will vote 'yes' to anything if you threaten them. SO, the process becomes one of 'pricing' the pilot group. Put out some POS contract that will garner a 30% yes/ 70% no result. Sweeten the pot just a little to get another 10% onboard then tie it to a neat little threat for the next 10% and, bam!, 50%+1 and it passes.

Like I said, saw it all from the inside nor do I work for Air Tran.

as far as membership ratification goes, 2 way street.
One the one side the members can keep the Mec's from doing what ever they want, ( you voted for them so sleep in the bed you made)
and the other side is that the company has to deal with the mec only when negotiating( crazy men who have knowledge of the company's intentions) if it is Mec ratification, if it is membership ratification the company will circumvent the neg team and lessen their bargaining power with a release to the members to get a feel of where the line really is.
I for one would rather have Mec ratification, but you also better be prepared to be involved, IE: attend meeting's, participate in the union.

Latest resources

Back