• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Props High or Low?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prop handle position doesn't affect the engine when attempting a restart...

Pull the handle back, and get as much glide out of it as possible. The engine failed for a reason - no fuel, oil starvation/seizure.

In the Aero Commander 500, you have to put the prop handle just out of feather ie in low rpm setting to restart the engine (2000RPM). If you put it to high rpm it causes too much stress on the engine, and warms it up too quickly.

Of all the things to worry about during engine failure in a light single...

I was always happy if a student just trimmed for best glide and successfully setup for landing.

I can see it now...

(as airplane descends toward the ground)
CFI: "Did you set high RPM pitch?"
Student: "Is that prop in or out"
CFI: "In"
Student: "Ok it's in, but my other instructor said not to do that until doing a go around"
CFI: "Really?"
Student: "Well yeah, he said something about always training me to push prop in first, then throttle. But that was at Riddle."
CFI: "Oh I suppose that makes sense. Well just do it this way for now."
Student: "Ok"
CFI: "Hey, did you do engine restart procedure yet?"
Student: "Oh I forgot. Sorry you distracted me. Um, where should the prop be for restart."
Student: "Ok, so that's high RPM, right?"
CFI: "yeah like I just showed you"
Student: "Oh, I see why you wanted high RPM earlier. Hey, wouldn't we get better glide with low RPM?"
CFI: "yeah, there'd be less drag. Hey, you never set best glide speed. Why didn't you do that?"
Student: "I'm still adjusting this prop control knob."
CFI: "I see.. where are we going to land?"
Student: "Land? I thought we were going to do a restart?"
CFI: "Well you better get best glide."
Student: "Ok I'm finally at best glide. whew. Should I pull out the prop knob now."
CFI: "Sure, go ahead. No, wait, leave it in."
Student: "What?"
CFI: "We're going to have to go around now. See those trees? Go around!"
Student: "Ok.. So was that prop in or out now?"

Funny

taloft said:

I was always happy if a student just trimmed for best glide and successfully setup for landing.

I can see it now...

Student: "Ok it's in, but my other instructor said not to do that until doing a go around"
Student: "Well yeah, he said something about always training me to push prop in first, then throttle. But that was at Riddle."
Student: "Oh I forgot. Sorry you distracted me. Um, where should the prop be for restart."
Student: "Oh, I see why you wanted high RPM earlier. Hey, wouldn't we get better glide with low RPM?"
CFI: "yeah, there'd be less drag. Hey, you never set best glide speed. Why didn't you do that?"
Student: "Ok I'm finally at best glide. whew. Should I pull out the prop knob now."

Funny situation I see your point but couldn't it be explained just a little simpler
throttle out props out
props in throttle in

taloft said:

I can see it now...

........!CLASSIC!!....Excellent justification for NOT teaching the best, most efficient, taking-all-things-into-consideration, way of handling/controlling the airplane.
"Just keep it simple." "You'll confuse the student." "Why make a mountain out of a molehill."...and on and on, yada,yada,yada.
Yes! All those things apply to the BEGINNING STUDENT PILOT. The scene you describe in your scenario would be happening if you try to cram the whole thing down his throat at first, but once he has basic glide control and making the field judgement, then you add the other stuff, as he is able to do it. In the end, no student pilot should ever get certified to carry pax without full and complete control of all of the equipment that he has at his command.

....but that isn't what's happening, is it? it has become the standard to just "get by", pass the test. they don't make you "pull the prop back" on the test, do they?...so why bother....

When practicing engine-out work in light singles, nothing prepared me better than having significant glider time - setting up the glide, total energy, path control, overall glide ratio, and field selection - all come naturally to glider types. I know it's not always an option due to cost, but if I was a new PP, I'd chase a glider rating before a multi or instrument rating. It'll make you a better pilot.

I understand the issues here, and I think some excellent advice has been made, but my thought, and I'm not a CFI but was a CFIG, would be to set EVERYTHING up for a flameout landing, including prop, before screwing with restart. That may be nothing more than setting up the glide, identifying landable terrain, pointing towards it, breathing that mental "I've got it made" sigh of relief, and then pursuing a restart.

Let me ask a question. Do you always practice power out in the pattern? They always make the field? Engines don't always fail in the pattern. Take your student to 4500msl. Have them start a steep turn and pull the trottle. Inform them they've just lost the engine. Have them go through the emergency start sequence. Now the engine is running again--but now it's on fire!! Engine fire checklist. Now find a place to land. As you get lower, give a little throttle to clear the carb. so it doesn't sputter on you when you do the go around. If you have constant speed prop--it should be pulled back asap to give more gliding distance. I used to do this to my students and it really boosted their confidence and made me feel very good about them being able to handle emergencies. I even do this to pilots during flight reviews. They thank me for reminding them about the things they don't go out and practice on their own.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
Do you always practice power out in the pattern?
Of course not. My previous posts were not intended to be "just in the pattern" scenarios.

I appreciate the input Dr. but you know how primacy is. Is it right or wrong to leave the prop high rpm? Whos to say? Afterall that was the intent of the topic starter, to find out opinions.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back