Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL030

Hi all,

Looking to do a weld repair on a small crack on the spinner of my Cessna Skylane, Q model with a Mcauley prop. Need to know the material. IA said there is an approved repair to do this. Would also like to find a reference for it. Will ACP all the necessary inspections after the weld of course.

Thanks, T.

Just follow the approved repair, and you will not need to know the material in the spinner.

Is this a McCauley approved repair? About 10 years ago McCauley had a statement in their maintenance manual that all weld repairs are not authorized. A transient C310 got a tag on his door handle by a roving FAA inspector that saw a weld bead in a typical crack location.

The bottom line is that if the OEM makes that kind of statement, the FAA will generally follow it.

There used to be a repair station that has approval to repair/weld spinners, I forget there name, check Trade-a-plane.

Are they really that expensive? I would have guessed picking up a good used one at a salvage yard would be cheaper then welding??

I was quoted 300.00 for the repair, which included stripping and inspection, seems a little steep. Especially since i know some very talented welders that could weld tin foil if needed. Of course as every one knows there is no tin in tin foil, think i'll just start calling it aluminum wrap from now on-but i degress. Still looking for a reference for the approved repair, i know it's out there. Of course Mccauley says no repairs allowed.

Latest resources

Back