• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jrbevis

pilot
Hey Guys,
Im going to be flying an airplane with Proline 21. Ive been flying EFIS 86 with UNS & GNS.
Curious if any of you have tips on making that transition easier. Im not sure if computer simulators are available to help with the training.

Thanks in advance.

Hook up the GPU. Sit in the cockpit and practice loading flight plans and going direct. You can change the route in the legs page unless you get a new Jet route or Victor airway, in that case you have to return to the flightplan page. The scratchpad will take a little while to get used to but once you go proline you will never want to go back(especially if you have the chart subscription).
Congrats.

Fairly big change (in my opinion) between UNS/GNS and Proline. Like someone mentioned, just practice. Collins does make a demo for PC if you can get a hold of--it helps. Biggest thing I remember is do not try to relate your UNS/GNS to the Proline because it won't work. That scratch pad is biggest difference, plus no "multiple choice" for airways, navaids, etc--you got to type in what you want.

Relax. Easy and intuitive. Two or three hours and it's like an old shoe.

Disagree. I had maybe 2500 HRS EFIS-85 time and GNS-XLS time in B350 and it took a solid 100 HRS in P-21 B350 to finally be able to relax. Maybe I am retarded.

Did I say 100 HRS ?

Disagree. I had maybe 2500 HRS EFIS-85 time and GNS-XLS time in B350 and it took a solid 100 HRS in P-21 B350 to finally be able to relax. Maybe I am retarded.

Did I say 100 HRS ?

Ditto for me, in Piaggio with several K hours of Efis / FMS time. I fell in love with the scratch pad, and riding the banana to fine tune descents was a plus.

I dunno. I had primus 1000, 2000, UNS, GNS-XLS, experience. It was a breath of fresh air to me. I still don't fully understand the Honeywell FMS in the C-750 and have been flying it ten years. It's a counterintuitive piece of ********************. Garmin was easiest to learn. Would take it over all of them.

I flew and would do it again today in a second, the GNS-XLS 1980's box all over USA, North, Central, and South America. Never had a problem.

I had a career in non-FMS military fighter and trainer aircraft with no exposure to anything like it, and I thought both the PL21 avionics and the FMS3000 were simple to learn and use, both in training and out on the line.

I echo the advice to find the PC-based trainer -- I found one for the Premier pretty easily (it was linked through a flightsim forum, strangely), and although that isn't the aircraft I was going to fly, messing around with it prior to the training course gave me enough familiarization that it was easy to learn. There are enough commonalities between the systems, it appears, to be of value.

Latest resources

Back