Proline 21 help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Training CD's are available.

Yup...PL21 is an easy to use, intuitive system. Each airframe has its own unique 'stuff' (Premier to CJ to G150 to CL300) but generally, if you can utilize it in one airframe you can VERY easily figure out any other configuration.

To this day, I still loathe a Universal FMS.

Agreed. Last week I took a veteran Hawker guy with me who had no Proline 21 time. Atlanta-VNY-Atlanta. He picked up on it very quickly just by playing with the system as we flew. By the time we got back, he was not looking forward to going back to his Honeywell bird! Great system.

Disagree. I had maybe 2500 HRS EFIS-85 time and GNS-XLS time in B350 and it took a solid 100 HRS in P-21 B350 to finally be able to relax. Maybe I am retarded.

Did I say 100 HRS ?

I flew both types at the same time. I thought the EFIS-85 was better at showing the necessary information in a readable format.

UNS is like an old dirty MS-DOS machine while the Proline is similar to Windows on its best day. The 680 has the Epic.....while it is better than the uns but it has it's issues as well. I guess Collins owns the rights to all of the neato mosquito features.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the response.
One question. Can you get The collins FMS to fly a heading like the UNS will?
This Proline is in a Falcon 50.
Thanks to all

You don't have to. If you are flying in HDG mode and you want to join an airway/route then you simply arm NAV mode and it will capture and fly it. If you are joining a airway/route in which one navaid is located on your departure airport and the next is down the road you must take the departure airport navaid and move it to the FROM line in the FMS. This is done by selecting that navaid into the scratchpad and moving it to the top of the FMS; Left Line Select Key 1 ( FROM line). Now your on your way! Hope this helps!

UNS is like an old dirty MS-DOS machine while the Proline is similar to Windows on its best day. The 680 has the Epic.....while it is better than the uns but it has it's issues as well. I guess Collins owns the rights to all of the neato mosquito features.

I would disagree. The collins required extra steps to achieve the same inputs as a universal, which means changes and corrections take longer. The Proline is nothing more than a dressed up EFIS display, but it doesn't show as much information in an as easily scannable format as the EFIS. In my opinion, the Proline was a step backwards from a traditional EFIS display with the exception of the gee-whiz big screens. Not that it didn't have potential to be better. But, that was a King Air set up and it may actually be an improvement in other aircraft.

Disclaimer: I'm flying Garmin Prodigy 1000 right now, so my bar may be set a little high.

Latest resources

Back