• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

All,

Numbers as of Oct '06 that are for real:

Avg workdays per month 12.93 days (30 day month)

Avg duty day : 8.63 hrs (decline in the 5 yr avg of Nov's)

Block hrs per day: 6 hrs, 11 minutes

Block hrs per hard line: 79.11 (increase of 3.46% over 5 yr avg, greater
productivity, more pay for pilots, more profits)

Block hrs per duty hr: .715 (increase of 2.15% over previous 5 Nov's)

Trips for pay per work day: 7.34 (increase of 2.07% over prevoius 5 Nov's; greater productivity, more pay for pilots, more profit sharing)

Yes we work hard and earn it. If you wish to not work hard & get paid a lot, no problem, there are other carriers who reward their pilots appropriately....that isn't a value judgement as much as it is a statement about the company's business plan & how they feel they can operate & still make a profit....SWA's business plan is different & appears to be working fine....that is the beauty of the industry, there are many items on the menu to choose from that can fulfill your apetite for whatever interests/motivates you.

Cheers,

Chase, I saw those numbers you posted in another thread, and if they're true than I am VERY GLAD for you and the industry, as there was a time when SWA was part of the problem in my view (in terms of QOL and Pay)..

Maybe now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's going to be SWA's turn to raise the bar for the Legacy's.

I do have a friend who's a Jr. Cap over there, and he's certainly not working 12 days a month, and 9 hour days... but then he is Jr.

Chase, I saw those numbers you posted in another thread, and if they're true than I am VERY GLAD for you and the industry, as there was a time when SWA was part of the problem in my view (in terms of QOL and Pay)..

Maybe now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's going to be SWA's turn to raise the bar for the Legacy's.

I do have a friend who's a Jr. Cap over there, and he's certainly not working 12 days a month, and 9 hour days... but then he is Jr.

I too am junior and work more than the 12.9 days listed but that is partially based upon the fact I'm junior & partially based upon the fact I have several kids in college, I have limited number of earning years & the company allows me to pick up extra flying....the number are accurate as they come straight from the Association's scheduling expert & they are published each month in our newspaper. You can bank on their accuracy.

In terms of raising the bar, some may not like the fact the bar has been set where SWA put it in terms of the amount of actual flying it takes to earn the level of income that the average SWA pilot earns. Additionally, for some airlines, the structure or scheduling of aircraft and crews makes it virtually impossible to squeeze the type of efficiency that comes from the crews at SWA...those limitations aren't something most pilot groups can deal with except on the fringes....they are more systemic within the structure/business plan of the airline. Some are making inroads to that & improving efficiencies so to say it can't be done, I won't go so far to say that....can pilot unions in conjunction with management find the proper balance to squeeze that efficiency out while providing adequate QOL is the juggling act they are trying to copy.

We'll see what shakes out in 18 months when many of us hope our negotiations will be wrapping up. I'm optimistic we'll be even more productive and with improved QOL. We'll see.

best of luck to us all chase

He's greedy, that's all there is to it.;)

I was going to say that. Have you friend tell you the days off on his line.

He's working a 4 on 3 off it seems to me.. but then I guess he was reserve when that was the case. Eitherway, glad that SWA is the bar raiser now, we look forward to seeing what comes out of the next section 6..

best of luck

Latest resources

Back