Procedure turn or no procedure turn

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would like to revive this topic just to be certain of one thing:

In this topic they address the SHARPT method for determining if a procedure turn is necessary. http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=30358

Just want to be clear about the "S"

"S" Straight In - cleared by ATC to execute the approach straight in off the IAF that also happens to be on the final approach course before the FAF... or IAF and FAF are the same fix. (assuming not in non-radar)

This being different from what appears to be a common misconception that you can execute it straight in on your without ATC authorization or a NOPT if you feel you do not "require a course reversal"

Do I have all this straight?

Last edited:
CaptainSpaz said:
"S" Straight In - cleared by ATC to execute the approach straight in off the IAF that also happens to be on the final approach course before the FAF... or IAF and FAF are the same fix. (assuming not in non-radar)

This being different from what appears to be a common misconception that you can execute it straight in on your without ATC authorization or a NOPT if you feel you do not "require a course reversal"

Do I have all this straight?
Yep. So long as you mean "cleared by ATC" in the cases on both sides of the "... "

Latest resources

Back