• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Problem With FBO Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I sought out a 141 school (Ari Ben Aviator) for my IR and ME training. After a horrible expereince, I exmained the reason and one I found was their instrcutor had a mere 27 percent pass rate.

(Incidently, I brought this to the attention of the MCO FSDO and they had no problem with that number.)

I have about 1000 hrs dual given at an FBO that gives both Part 61 and 141 training. The only major difference in Part 61 and Part 141 is the documentation.

I have some students who need the Part 141 so they can transfer to a university or receive VA benefits. Most of the other students are Part 61. THEY BOTH RECEIVE THE EXACT SAME TRAINING FROM THE EXACT SAME SYLLABUS.

The only difference is that after a flight with a 141 student I fill out that ridiculously long folder instead of simply writing it in his logbook.

I know that 141 allows you to get the rating in a few less hours, but reducing the number of hours for a Private pilot student from 40 to 35 is not really significant. Has any instructor ever been able to fully cover everything in the PTS in 35 hours? I doubt it.

I do recommend 141 training for the Instrument/Commerical because it saves the student from having to build up so much solo cross country time prior to strating the course. But again, once the course starts, they receive the exact same training as a Part 61 guy.

Finally, nobody can just give a blanket statement and say that all Part 141 schools are better/worse than all Part 61 schools. There are too many variables that determine how good a school is. A good school will use a syllabus regardless of whether they are part 61 or 141. A good school emphasizes the PTS rather than a bunch of study guides. There are plenty of good schools and plenty of bad ones operating under both parts.

Flight schools and discipline

172driver said:
The academy, however, will generally hold you to much higher standards...especially on the knowledge side . . . .
That's essentially where I'm coming from, along with the discipline of going to "school." "School" implies studying, preparing for class and flights, and going through a rigid program.

I could serve as a poster boy for how not to train. I appreciate the post above that Part 61 and/or FBO training provides flexibility. I had horrendous and frequently-changing work schedules during the years (yes, you read it right) that I worked on my ratings. I worked with private instructors and, yes, I had flexibility. My training was also irregular and undisciplined, so, as a consequence, I don't feel that I was trained that well, and I certainly did not acquire enough knowlege. I had to play a great deal of catch-up after I got my first full-time instructing job, especially when I observed how the students seemed to know more than me, an instructor!

When you attend a place such as FSI, you follow a regular schedule and syllabus. You don't get near an airplane for the first few weeks you're there. You're in class attending Private ground school. The program works that way. You'll fly for a few weeks, then more ground school. And, the program moves right along, maybe a little too fast. You're studying, and you have to have good study skills to keep up. My point is the discipline and pace builds momentum, and the momentum facilitates learning.

ERAU moves along much slower, even if you can get airplanes and progress per schedule in your program. But, it is college, and very much requires good study skills.

In either case, the discipline will serve you later. As one moves up from instructing and through more structured companies, the training pace increases. In my .02 opinion, acquiring the discipline sooner will serve your interests later.

Bobbysamd

Bobbysamd,
The real reason you had so much trouble training is because you are a Broncos fan....Go Bears!!!
Terry

Latest resources

Back