Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pro Pilot Article about Amway Flight Department - Impressive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

So I picked up the latest Pro Pilot mag in an FBO today and I read about Amway's large flight department (31 pilots) based out of GRR. It's a private company and they have a pretty impressive fleet for their worldwide operations including 3 GIVs, 3 GVs (includes one G550 with another on the way), 2 CL300s, 2 CJ3s and a S76 helicopter.

Anyone got intel? Good place to be? How do they select the aircraft type(s) for newhires (do you need experience on type)? Sounds pretty stable - only real downside: it is located in Grand Rapids...

Your salary doesn't start until you recruit 7 other "intelligent people that would like to make some extra money" to work under you.

Personally, I would rather be employed by an under the radar Fortune 100 company than one that likes to play the skin flute on Pro Pilot any day.

Good luck with that "trophy job."

I'd question any manager that lets ANY publication in the door, nevermind "Professional Pilot"...

Your salary doesn't start until you recruit 7 other "intelligent people that would like to make some extra money" to work under you.

So only 24 of their pilots there are making a salary?

I have known pilots at one of the companies that they profile. The mag rants and raves about what a great company it is--and it was the worst place to work.

Did you have to duck for the sarcasm to fly over your head or were you standing tall?;)

I was standing so tall and proud that I didn't realize I was steeped in sarcasm!

I've heard both good and bad things about Amways flight dept. The biggest downside that I've heard more than once is that it's VERY political

Had a conversation with the Chief Pilot there a few years ago and the details I got was most Gulfstream flying was to Asia and Europe, 15 days off a month, start at 75-80K till you upgrade to cpt which took about 3 months then bumped up to 85-110K, after 5 years 144K. Flight dept was around 40-50 years old and never have laid off a pilot, mins are 3000ttl ATP and a jet type.

I didn't read the article so I don't know how much differs from what I was told, and again that was like 5 years ago.

I've talked to two pilots over there....one loved it, and the other hated it.

Latest resources

Back