Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Imagine sitting in back!

Chunk said:
My very first cat was a night cat. Fun. It's always a blast to be in back with no control over your own destiny except for pilot re-init switches A & B (upper and lower ejection handles.) I do miss the boat flying.

So, do you fly the Indefensible? :D

Chunk

I thought the indefensible was Shawn Puffy P-Diddy Combs - does he have an airplane?

"Pilot re-init switches" - funny.

Talking about coming aboard the boat, did you read the Lt. Karen Hultgren F-14 accident report? That was a GIB with some presence of mind. He was calm, cool, collected, and offering advice right to the point where he decided that if he ever wanted to see Mama again it was time to pull the handles.

Remember when the Admiral "explained" that accident? The engine just quit, and who could expect an airplane to fly with just one engine??? Incredible. And the Navy wonders why their investigation process is sometimes criticized.

JayDub

JayDub said:
Remember when the Admiral "explained" that accident? The engine just quit, and who could expect an airplane to fly with just one engine??? Incredible. And the Navy wonders why their investigation process is sometimes criticized.

JayDub

The official Navy accident report was pretty straight forward. Natops says not to exceed 14 units of alpha when operating single-engine in the F-14. The report states that when Lt. Hultgren hit 18 units the jet started rolling left. As the Tomcat went through 90 degrees the NFO initiated the ejection sequence.

Chunk,

Nope. Never been in the military.

GVFlyer,

Originally, before the official report was issued, they had an Admiral give a briefing on the progress of the investigation before they issued the final report. I saw it on ABC Nightly News, although I believe all of the networks carried it. He described what was happening while the video of the incident was playing. Any one with a multi rating could see a perfect example of a VMC accident. The Admiral said that the engine "just quit" and made the aircraft unflyable. No mention whatsoever of erratic rudder movement causing the engine to flame out, which I believe the final findings did mention.

Shortly there after, there was the infamous report on the first batch of females going through training for fighters as well as a lot of line officers calling bu** sh** on the Navy's preliminary findings of this accident. In addition, the Iowa incident had just been tidied up. Consequently, the accident board's findings were delayed and they held a subsequent press briefing that "clarified" their original statements.

I don't believe you'd find any of this in print. This is all from memory. Few ever trust anything Peter Jennings or Dan Rather tell them, it seems, so I doubt any one else remembers this.

JayDub

Navy Conspiracies

Just like how ADM Mike Boorda shot himself in the chest.....twice.

Supposedly over a "V" insignia on a medal....

RIIIGGGHHHT.

Corp vs. Frac

From what I have seen it is a difference in mind set. Neither is better or worse. It is one persons point of view. Not everyone can be a GV capt at a 3M or Exxon etc. Some people may not want to. The perks at one company may be such that it is hard to compete with ie. family riding on the corp. plane for vacation. Thsi would probably never happen at a frac. I know EJA lets family ride on empty legs on a VERY limited basis with management approval etc. etc. etc.

Frac. at least the big three may be more stable that lots of corp jobs especially in a shaky economy. Two years ago not many people would have thought that Enron would have foundered and they had a big flight dept also Xerox has down sized. EJA for one has had continued steady growth for several years and many many orders on the books. I can't speak for the other fracs.

Some people like a fixed work schedule some don't. Some like a beeper most don't. Most pilots will not make as much at a frac as a fortune 50 pilot, but then again there are not many 200k a year corp pilots out there. The money at the frac will definetly increase in the next few years.

Latest resources

Back