• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PRK Vision Surgery for Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A doctor may recomend PRK rather than Lasik due to the patient having a thiner than average cornea. Also it was my understanding that without the flap some sports, etc. may ultimately be safer with PRK than lasik.

I just had wavefront lasik done about 2 months ago now. My right eye wasn't too bad, I can't remember the 20-20 chart but they said it was a -3.5 correction and my left eye was over a -7 correction.

Within 4 days my right eye was fairly steady occasionaly it would be blury with fairly minimal halo's at night, my left eye was very halo and distortions until approximately a month after sugery, I still do have a few but they are minima and only when I have dry eye issues (being tired doesn't help).

I got my medical back a week after the surgery, all you have to do is take a form into the doctor with you and he will fill it out. You need to be able to have the eye sight as specified in the FAR's for your class of medical cert. I bluffed my way through it but after having gone through the surgery and a bit of the recovery time I think that you could take 2 weeks off and be sure that you will be safe.

It was the best money I have spent, I can't wait for this summer to enjoy sports without glasses.

If any questions feel free to PM me and I will try my best.

Jumppilot,
How long did it take you to start flying again? It's my understanding, my doc has to submit a letter stating my vision is 20/20 and no side effects before I can get back to flying. I've also been told it will probably take 6-8 weeks for recovery. Is that what you guys have heard or experienced?
Thanks for all the advice.

I had it done before I started flying for the airlines, but from what I remember I felt able to fly within a couple weeks.

Latest resources

Back