Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Anyone done any training in a Cirrus SR22? I am supposed to start flying with a guy in one. He has 25hrs total, and has soloed in a 172. He wants to finish in the Cirrus. Anyone got any suggestions? Hints? Tips? Anything? I've never flown one, so im not sure what to expect. Im supposed to fly with their company pilot in the plane sometime soon, then we will start training. The only thing that concerns me is the 310hp. Thats a lot to start a primary student with. But hey........if it only had 160 then it wouldnt be as exiting i suppose.

Wow

SR 22 is kind of a powerful aircraft for training. I think they cruise about 180kts. I would with a doubt get some time in the aircraft doing stalls and such, just so you will know what to expect, when it comes checkride time, and you are doing your reviews.

I do have one suggestion. Keep your hand away from the Parachute. You heard what happened to the guy in Lexington KY right? He tried to pop the chute and it wouldn't go, so he landed in a field. Seems like the chute popped on the ground.

Have a great time,
J.

flat spins???

You should read Richard Collins article in this month's Flying magazine regarding a recent crash of a Cirrus aircraft (don't recall right off hand whether it was a -20 or a -22 - don't think there's much difference between them other than engine size). Witnesses and crash scene evidence apparently supports the theory that the pilot was doing some air work (slow flight, approach and take off stalls) and the plane somehow got into a flat spin which the pilot was unable to recover from, resulting in two fatalities.

Please don't read anything more into the preceding other than a brief summary of what I can recall from the magazine article. Cirrus was started at the airport (DLL - Baraboo-Wisconsin Dells) I did a lot of touch-n-goes at during my flight training for my PPC. I was very bummed to hear the county and state didn't do much to try to keep them there when they were looking for a deal on some land and other incentive help. The company took its vision and jobs to Duluth, MN.

Fly safe!!!

andymsn is right- do not do full stalls until this is sorted out.

I am sorry

I very much agree with 310. I am sorry I said that about the stalls. I read the article in Flying by Collins last week. Very very disturbing to say the least. I wouldn't do full stalls in it if I were you Brad.

J.

PS - 310, very good tip!

I would never sign off a student for solo in a complex or high performance airplane unless they could show me proficiency at the level of a private pilot.

Remember, it is your ticket on the line! 310hp is enough to make a hole in the ground half way to China.

I realize he has already solo'd and someone else signed him off in that airplane, but you take on responsibility when you start giving him dual instruction.

not to mention his 3 hour private cross country will cover six states!
Also, why did the flat spin kill two people in the cirrus? Did they not activate the parachute? No way I would do full stalls that plane. "Clean" aircraft with good wing loading like the bonanza, mooney, and others usually have a more abrupt stall with a clean break and a wing drop than your typical trainers. It might take a student (or an instructor) by surprise.

I taught in Bonanzas and Mooneys and thought the Bonanza's full stall was a little exciting but not too bad. The Mooney didn't excite as much as the Bonanza. Bonanza roll real easy and this probably has something to do with it.

I have friend who has a SR20 and the insurance required him and his instructor to have specific training from a company instructor before they could proceed with each other. He already had his private and was working on his instrument.

A different guy at the airport did his private in an SR20 a year ago with the same instructor and the same insurance company and they didn't have this requirement. From what I understand the insurance companies have started to get tougher on higher performance aircraft being used for training.

Irony at its best

Hey Mick,

Whats up with people who fly Bonanza's and the name "Mickey". My Instructor who was helped me learn how to fly a bonanza's name was "Mickey" and not only that the guy who owns the Bonanzas first name is Mickey. Two different folks. Both fly the airplane. One is "Owner/Pilot Mickey", the other is "CFI/personal pilot Mickey". Pretty wild.

J.

Latest resources

Back