Private Pilot Syllabus for Independant Instructors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CutEmUp

I instructed at a Cessna Pilot Center (not 141 though) for a couple of years, but have now moved to another city as an independant instructor. While I was at the CPC, I really liked how the CD-ROM courses were set up. The students could do the ground school whenever they felt like at home, and they saw exactly what was going to happen during the flight before hand. I also thought the syllabus was in very good order.

Now that I am not at a flight school, I am looking for something like this. Students can order the Cessna kit, but can only access up to lesson 6 until an official CPC activates the rest (unless they are further than 50 miles from the nearest CPC, then they get the fully activated version. I am in a city that is almost exactly 50 miles from a CPC. Half of the city IS half ISN'T). I digress...

Is there anything comperable to the Cessna version? King Schools has another version under the King name, but it is over $500. And, is it in order, or just a hodgepodge of all of their instructional DVDs?

What does everyone else use?

Last edited:
Does the full kit provide the instructor with an outline of what is on each DVD? I am trying to figure out if the Sporty's thing is actually in order or not.

Ideal situation:
-Student watches DVD ground lesson
-Student watches on DVD exactly what they are going to do in the airplane (and I know what this is also)
-Student shows up at airport and I ask them a couple refresher questions and see if the student has any question
-We go fly and everytime that I explain something it is like the third time the student has heard it and says, "yeah, I know" instead of "huh?"
-Also, I don't have to waste time demonstrating a maneuver first, since student has already seen it done. If they screw it up enough I will demo.
-Lessons over, debrief, tell student to watch next lesson see you in two days.

Also, a printable checklist of items to be covered during the flight would be great. At the end, I sign, student signs. (CYA)

It's really starting to sound like I am really lazy and incompetent. This process has just worked so well before, I hate to not have the Cessna Pilot Center thing.

The Sporty's offering is based on the same principles as the King/Cessna - a DVD presentation that represents the ground component of a 14-style flight training syllabus (not ground school for the knowledge test).

It comes with a full printed flight training syllabus.

Your "ideal situation" is exactly the way I've used it - and in my case, my students tend to be people with non-aviation careers who have terrible scheduled for flight training, and need the ability for constant refreshment between lessons.

Whether it works for you or not only you can answer, so I can only suggest you cough up the $3.95 to get the first DVD and see for yourself.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

Leave it to a flight instructor to contemplate coughing up $3.95 for such an item.

Latest resources

Back