Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GLSoar

Who needs a dang motor
I have a private student that is VFR night restricted and he has been working on his instrument rating at other schools. Can he get an instrument rating. If so will the night VFR restriction be lifted?

Reading the regs, I don't see any reason why your student could not get an instrument rating.

I seem to recall that anyone could get a night restricted private certificate, but the most recent copy of the regs seems to indicate that only residents of the State of Alaska have this option.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that your student would not be allowed to fly at night until he satisfied the night aeronautical experience requirements and taook his logbook to the FSDO to have the restriction removed from his certificate.

I have only ever known one person that was VFR night restricted, and it was because he was colorblind. He completed the light gun test but quit the program soon after. Not sure what his prospects were for continuing with his ratings.

I also know a guy who was night resticted due to color blindness, and he was not able to get an instrument rating.

siucavflight said:
I also know a guy who was night resticted due to color blindness, and he was not able to get an instrument rating.

I had a night flight restriction for about a year, but it didn't keep me from getting an instrument rating. I have since had the restriction lifed, but it was on my medical when I took my instrument ride.

Latest resources

Back