Private multi hired PSA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capp1900

I had a captain from PSA jumpseating on my plane and informed me that they hired a person with a private multi-instrument and they would give him his comm-multi in the sim. This is an outrage, it cant be true?!?

I heard that rumor while in STL last week for training. I have a friend in initial ground school that said two of her classmates have less than 400 hours. There is no cause for concern however, as we are "meeting out recruitment goals."

it's not an outrage, it's reality. They still have to pass a checkride, so as long as training and the FAA do their jobs, I say good for the private pilot who took a shot and got it.

i doubt it'll be long before you see regionals send low-time pilots or even ab-initio students to go to a flight school where many others who went before them shelled out tens of thousands to get their ratings. the new guys will be PAID to go to school and will get the ratings for free, although they'll probably have to agree to stay at the regional who sponsors them for a period of time to get a return on their investment.

Supply and demand. Once 300-hour guys were hired by the majors, decades ago. For the next generation that may not have to go into huge debt to fly for a living, good for them, I hope it all works out. Just another example that timing is everything in this job...

Supply and demand. Once 300-hour guys were hired by the majors, decades ago. For the next generation that may not have to go into huge debt to fly for a living, good for them, I hope it all works out. Just another example that timing is everything in this job...

Remember all the major airline crashes from decades ago?

Remember all the major airline crashes from decades ago?

Now thats a can of worms... They also didn't have all of the safety tools we have today, radar, tcas, windshear alerting equipment, runway collision avoidance stuff, etc. Unions play a major role in getting these safety tools in place.

It wasn't the 300 hr. pilots crashing planes back then. The real killers were Captain egos and mechanics who were having NASCAR daydreams while wrenching on a 737.

No really, it's no BS. I heard from a dude in the bathroom who knows a dude who overheard a chick talk about what she was told by a mechanic who worked near an airplane that flew in with a crew that saw someone talking to a guy who said he thought someone was hired without a pilots license by a Major Airline. They promised to pay for everything. No really, it's got to be true.

It wasn't the 300 hr. pilots crashing planes back then. The real killers were Captain egos and mechanics who were having NASCAR daydreams while wrenching on a 737.

So why didn't the 300 hour first officer speak up? Why did he let the crazy captain crash the airplane? Lack of experience? Lack of CRM?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back