Private checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

I will probably be taking my private checkride sometime in the next few weeks... Does anyone have any suggestion on what to study/be prepared for?
Thanks

I'm giving this answer because, for some reason, there are students taking checkrides who apparently don't know it, but I am really hoping that you do and it's not helpful:

Everything you will be tested on, the standards you will have to meet, and the general procedures involved in the checkride are written down in the Practical Test Standards. There will be, of course, some variation among individual examiners, but all within that little book or checkride tasks.

what midlife said. study the PTS, go over it with your instructor until you can answer every question without looking it up.

what midlife said. study the PTS, go over it with your instructor until you can answer every question without looking it up.
I don't think you have to go that far. It's a "practical" test. Part of aviation is knowing how to use references. There are things you need to know without looking them up because they are important and in the real world you don't have time. There are other things that no one expects you to carry around in your head. Overdone it can be a problem, but for the most part, opening the page of the AIM or FAR or POH to answer a question is not going to be an issue.

Overdone it can be a problem, but for the most part, opening the page of the AIM or FAR or POH to answer a question is not going to be an issue.

This is an important piece of information for any test. If you don't know the answer and guess chances are you are wrong and you are stuck with a wrong answer. If you don't know the answer but can demonstrate how to get the correct answer you got a shot.

Think about the answers you give as well. Depending on your examiner they may ask questions that are intended to draw you into an incorrect response. If you don't understand the question ask for clarification.

Only answer the question asked. Try not to BS. If you do not know something ask if you can look it up. That will impress him/her.

Goodluck,

P.S bring some extra cash.

Only answer the question asked. Try not to BS. If you do not know something ask if you can look it up. That will impress him/her.

Goodluck,

P.S bring some extra cash.

I totally agree. The key to mastering the ground portion of a practical test is knowing when to shut up.

Many times people that fail the ground portion by digging their own grave.

You don't have to know everything, especially for a private license.But know where to find the answer within 10-15 seconds.

Latest resources

Back