Prior Service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Starbuck

I must say the article is very interesting. While some the most talented officers and enlisted personnel are leaving the military there are prior service military personnel who would like to return. One way to solve unemployment is for the government to relax prior service requirements, and allow the ones who want to return to their previous career, or retrain have that opportunity. One big drawback of this idea is that some positions require security clearances which take forever.
Since I left the military in 2005, I have been unemployed several times. I tried to return to the military but red tape, and a few infractions of the law which was part of my record in the beginning of my military, and dating back 10-15 years keep me from joining.
My status is inactive reserve. I have a diverse background in aviation. My last performance report was as an instructor inflight refueling technician member on the KC-135. Other positions help are radio operator and maintenance technician. In the civilian sector, I worked as a flight dispatcher airport operations supervisor at O'Hara, and a flight manual technical writer.
I know this sound like a resume, but it just show you that there is a a lot of people with great experience who would like to become part of the team again. Me personally, I would like to fly drones since I am too old to fly military aircraft.
Well I feel that this site is great for networking, and if anyone besides a recruiter have any information on jobs at any units needing prior service flight crew members or base operations personnel please post.

Best of luck to you but the military is downsizing and you keep getting older every year.

I give everyone here two guarantees.

1 - Obama will be re-elected.
2 - Obama and the tea party tards have one big budget cutting item they can agree on. The military will be cut drastically over the next few years.

2 - Obama and the tea party tards have one big budget cutting item they can agree on. The military will be cut drastically over the next few years.
wanta bet? If BO wins I don't post for two months, if he looses you don't post for two months. Willing to put honor on the line?

You and the rest of Washington need to sit down with a calculator for 30 seconds. If you completely abolished the entire DOD and took defense spending to zero, it would still take over 25 years to pay off the deficit, longer with interest.

If you spent $1 million a DAY since the day that Jesus was born, you still wouldn't have spent a trillon, yet Obama continues to rack up trillions like they're going out of style. Good luck to all of us...

You and the rest of Washington need to sit down with a calculator for 30 seconds. If you completely abolished the entire DOD and took defense spending to zero, it would still take over 25 years to pay off the deficit, longer with interest.

QUOTE]

So what's your point, we shouldnt' trim defense spending because all by itself we won't eliminate the deficit? You could make that argument with any government spending program. There needs to be sacrifices made across the board to trim our debt burdens. The military needs to be right-sized and our weapons procurement process needs to be completely dismantled and streamlined.

The biggest federal expense is defense. If you're blowing most of your load on a particular area, odds are you are going to find some non-essentials you are going to have to live without unless you want to tack the bill on the deficit, borrow from our friends in China and hope your grandkids will be fiscally conservative to cover your ass.

I love a silver tongued politician that can promise to cut spending and create a bigger military in the same sentence. It's like these guys are the puppets and the Super PACs are pulling the strings.

Social security, medicare and Obamacare are the biggest expenses dragging down the economy. You can not mathimatically solve the national debt without major overhaul of all entitlement spending. Military is just an easy target... yeah, people support the military until in interferes with their piece of the free pie. Guess what people, there is no such thing as free.

The Wall Street Journal had an interactive App on their website a while back allowing you to cut or reduce all programs within the gov't to see what the net effect was on the deficit. If you can cover a $1.2T shortfall, every year, simply by reducing defense spending, then you should be running for office.

Pimp, no doubt procurement needs to be overhauled. If we want to save money the first thing we could do is dismantle NAVAIR.

Social security, medicare and Obamacare are the biggest expenses dragging down the economy. You can not mathimatically solve the national debt without major overhaul of all entitlement spending. Military is just an easy target... yeah, people support the military until in interferes with their piece of the free pie. Guess what people, there is no such thing as free.

The Wall Street Journal had an interactive App on their website a while back allowing you to cut or reduce all programs within the gov't to see what the net effect was on the deficit. If you can cover a $1.2T shortfall, every year, simply by reducing defense spending, then you should be running for office.

Pimp, no doubt procurement needs to be overhauled. If we want to save money the first thing we could do is dismantle NAVAIR.

Please explain how Obama care is dragging down the economy? The bulk of the legislation does not begin until 2014 so there are no significant expenses today.

Cutting defense spending is not synonymous with not supporting the military. The fact is there is a lot of excess and unnecessary spending in the defense dept. We still maintain a cold war posture in many areas. Cutting defense spending is one component of solving the deficit. It can be done without sacrificing security. A reminder, the biggest defense cuts post WWII came under a republican administration.

Best of luck to you but the military is downsizing and you keep getting older every year.

Blunt but honest assessment.

Starbuck, if you REALLY want a military job, you need to go out and hustle. Go to every unit that you think MIGHT hire you. Don't rule out other branches of service. It's getting to be a tough slog out there.

wanta bet? If BO wins I don't post for two months, if he looses you don't post for two months. Willing to put honor on the line?

While it's possible that Obamao will be reelected, I don't think his odds are great. We tend to vote with our wallet and after 4 years, blaming your predecessor doesn't cut it.

Sig, we're a couple of years behind Europe. Either way (voluntarily or involuntarily), both entitlements and military spending will be slashed. Look at the collapse of the USSR and the Russian default of 1998. If we don't sharply curtail our federal spending, that's our future.

Latest resources

Back